Initial rep range of a cycle

Heavy Duty dude

We know that studies have shown that the optimal rep range is in the order of 10-12 reps.

As HSTers, we know that this is not exactly true and that the optimum rep range varies with the level of conditionning, and that the 10-12 reps is probably more suited for beginners.

Now the thing is that when we decondition, we cannot expect to decondition as much as how a beginner would be deconditioned, since we know that we only decondition partially.

So the question is this: isn't the 10-12 RM the minimum that we should use at the beginning of our cycles, since we are more conditionned than a beginner?

What do you think?

I always do at least one week of 15's as I want to keep my joints and connective tissue healthy. What you said is probably true is you were concerned with nothing but hypertrophy. However, at some point you would likely run into joint problems.

That being said, if upon complettion of a cycle you have no joint pains at all, I see nothing wrong with starting the next cycle with 10 reps. I just wouldn't do it all the time.

Yeah it's probably a good thing to do at least 1 week of 15s. We always want to jump to fast to the heavy weights.

For the 10-12 rep range it's hard to tell indeed. And think about it, a 10-12RM for a beginner is not necessarily a 10-12 RM for someone more advanced, because the type 2 become stronger in proportion and fibers tend to switch to type 2s. So it might bo more like the 9-10RM or something.

Difficult to tell..
crazy.gif

Experience is probably the best guide here I guess.

Back