Intermittent Fasting

chooseausername

Leangains

Martin Berkhan is the owner and apparently Mike Novak used some of his training/diet methods.  

Any feedback about the concept of intermittent fasting?

It seems to go against the concept of constantly eating small meals.  Also, the exercise plan isn't clear, but there is at least some type of bulking/cutting component as well.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It seems to go against the concept of constantly eating small meals.</div>

That's probably because the concept of constantly eating small meals is retarded and was disproven many times over during the past decade or so.

I've tried IF for cutting and it worked surprisingly well. I didn't follow Martin's plan to a T however. My binges were shorter, for instance.

Right, I guess what I meant was, he seems to support eating 3 huge meals in an 8 hour window instead of the HST example diet with 5 meals plus pre and post workout meals for a total of 7.

(I realize some people might not be able to jam all the needed calories in 3 meals).

So, in your opinion IF is a form of cutting? Does Martin follow HST?

<div>
(chooseausername @ Jan. 20 2008,12:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Right, I guess what I meant was, he seems to support eating 3 huge meals in an 8 hour window instead of the HST example diet with 5 meals plus pre and post workout meals for a total of 7.

(I realize some people might not be able to jam all the needed calories in 3 meals).

So, in your opinion IF is a form of cutting? Does Martin follow HST?</div>
IF can be used however you want, really, the idea is potentially improved partitioning whatever your goals (fat loss, mass gain, whatever).

An alternate way of looking at it is a really good eating schedule to stack calories around training, which seems to work well.

I will likely go back to the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eating thing whenever I want to lose fat, mostly because I found it worked retardedly well for me.

However, when trying to GAIN mass, it becomes a little tiresome to shove in, say, 4000 calories for me in an 8 hour window. Thus, right now, I only fast a couple/few days a week in a format similar to that, the rest of the days I just &quot;eat a lot (of quality food).&quot; Though as a &quot;lesson&quot; from IF, I now eat 3-4 meals a day, instead of 5-6, because I find that massively more convenient with quite literally zero loss of performance/body composition/etc.

As far as the training part of &quot;leangains&quot; Martin trains using his own version of H.I.T., doing very heavy, low volume, infrequent workouts. (If you want the details you'll have to ask him, he is a fine personal trainer and is available upon request.) He has built incredible strength (over 640 lb. deadlift, etc.) and a jaw-dropping physique doing so. But of course he gives due credit to the progressive load principle as key to his amazing physique. Obviously progressive load is the most important factor to HST, which explains why so many guys get huge from different programs as long as they are adding weight to the bar over time. (See starr 5x5, powerlifter routines, high-volume bodybuilder splits, etc, etc, etc....)
I don't think the 48 hour frequency, submax loads and SD part of HST principles are really that important, and personally I don't follow them either. I know that sounds blasphemous to post here, but its what I believe lately based on both anecdotes and my interpretation of scientific research.
Don't get me wrong, Bryan's HST obviously works, as we have many big, strong guys plus solid research to prove that. I just think there are many different ways to apply the principles. Progressive load is the cornerstone of any successful weight-training program.

my recomm. for finding info about IF is to search lyles body recomposition site for info on martin and others exper with IF. i dont think youll find more hard info there then youve already found on martins site. the inteview he conducted with l. peele (name?) does a good job of summarizing and hitting the main points. beyond that, much like HST, its up to you to fill in the blanks with specifics that work for you.

like others ive had success with IF for cutting and re-comp and im currently trying IF bulk with some pretty good results. my exper and others who have posted is what youll find more of on lyles site. its such a new approach there really are no &quot;rules&quot; other then the basics you already know, and even they are flexible on a day to day basis.

personally, i just read all i could find, developed a program that i thought would work and gave it a shot. obviously its not for everyone.

good luck

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 20 2008,04:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't think the 48 hour frequency, submax loads and SD part of HST principles are really that important, and personally I don't follow them either.  I know that sounds blasphemous to post here, but its what I believe lately based on both anecdotes and my interpretation of scientific research.</div>
I couldn't agree more with you and I have been here for a while.

Unless I remember wrongly, it was 36 hrs for a muscle and what, 72 hrs. for the CNS? Man, it's been a while since I read the articles! Anyway, I think it's just for convenience in our 24 hour days that we come up with 48. Unless we can make the world spin faster, but I don't want to fall off.
smile.gif

Since we don't scroo up the CNS in HST, we don't need to heed that part. Except when at the last days. I always have to spread things out a bit it seems.

Back