Is doing HST 2 days in a row ok?

matty19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, Im about to go back to university and the only days I can workout are Friday, Sunday and Monday. I was previously doing a 3 day perweek whole body w/o on Sat, Mon, Wed. Will it work doing 2 days in a row? this is how im thinking of doing it:

Friday: Full Body

Legs:
Leg Press
D/lift

Chest:
BB Press
Flyes

Back:
Chins:
Bent over rows

Traps:
Shrugs

Shoulders
Front raises
Sh/press

Bis:
BB curl

Tris:
Skull Crushers

Sunday: Upper

Chest:
BB Press
Flyes

Back:
Chins
Bent over rows

Bis:
BB curl

Monday: Lower/Shoulders/Tris

Legs:
Leg Press
D/lift

Traps:
Shrugs

Shoulders
Front raises
Sh/press

Tris:
Skull Crushers

The only problem is, that when I was doing Sat, Mon, Wed I was doing a total of these sets per week:

Legs: 9sets
Chest: 9 sets
Back: 12 sets
Traps 3 sets
Shldrs: 9 sets
Bis: 6 sets
Tris: 6 sets

If I was to do 1 full body and 2 splits how do I spread the sets over a week? Is it ok to do say do 4 sets for legs on my full body and do a total of 5 sets for legs on the Monday (lower body workout) I.e.:

Fri: full body:

Leg Press x2
Dead lift x2

Monday: lower:
Leg press x 3
Deadlift x2

Tell me what u think.Thanks.

I think that plan looks fine. It's not going to be as good as 3 full body workouts spaced out, but it's better than doing 2 full body workouts because you won't be directly working the same muscle groups 2 days in a row. Looks like it might be the best you can do on your current schedule, so it's worth a try.

Title: Effects of a 7-day eccentric training period on muscle damage and inflammation.

Researchers: Chen TC, Hsieh SS.

Institution: Department of Ball-Related Sports Science, Taipei Physical Education College, Taipei City, Taiwan.

Source: Medicine and Science Sports & Exercise 2001 Oct;33(10):1732-8

Purpose: This study examined the effects of a 7-day repeated maximal isokinetic eccentric training period on the indicators of muscle damage and inflammatory response.

Methods: Twenty-two college-age males were randomly assigned to eccentric training (ET) and control groups (CON). The initial exercise was 30 repetitions of maximal voluntary isokinetic eccentric contraction (ECC1) on non-dominant elbow flexors with Cybex 6000 at 60 degrees.s-1 angular velocity. The ET group performed the same exercise for the following 6 consecutive days (referred to as ECC2 to ECC7) after ECC1. Upper arm circumference (CIR), range of motion (ROM), and maximal isometric force (MIF) were measured before, immediately after, and every 24 h for 7 consecutive days after ECC1. Plasma creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), glutamic oxaloacetate transaminase (GOT), leukocyte counts, and serum interleukin-1beta and -6 (IL-1beta, IL-6) levels were assessed before; at 2 h; and at 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 d after ECC1. Muscle soreness was measured before and for 7 consecutive days after ECC1.

Results: The ECC1 produced significant changes in most of the measures for both groups, with the exception of leukocyte counts. No indicators of increased damage were found from the second consecutive day of eccentric training to the 7th day for the eccentric training group.

Conclusion: Continuous intensive isokinetic eccentric training performed with damaged muscles did not exacerbate muscle damage and inflammation after ECC1. In addition, a muscular "adaptation effect" may occur as early as 24 h after ECC1, as shown by the ET group's performance for 6 consecutive days after ECC1.

Discussion: One of the most controversial aspects of HST is the suggestion that people train in a predominantly eccentric fashion for two weeks straight. Heresy! they shout. Then when you ask them why it's so bad to train a muscle more frequently or, heaven forbid, do negatives two workouts in a row, they say because your muscle can't "recover" that fast. This study calls into question the belief that muscles can't recover if trained again soon or even the next day.

They looked at a wide variety of markers for muscle damage including plasma creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), glutamic oxaloacetate transaminase (GOT), leukocyte counts, and serum interleukin-1beta and -6 (IL-1beta, IL-6). Although both groups experienced a significant change in all these indicators (accept leukocyte count), no indicators of increased damage were found from ECC2 to ECC7 for the ET group.

What about soreness? For both the group who only did one training session as well as those who did seven in a row, muscle soreness developed 1 day after the first eccentric training bout, and remained through the 3rd day, then gradually diminished regardless of which group they were in. The group that did the eccentric sets every day experienced the same progression and subsidence of soreness as the group that did only one set at the beginning of the week. The soreness level was almost back to baseline on 7 day for both groups.

The results of this investigation indicated that repeated bouts of the eccentric exercise performed on each of the following 6 days after the first bout did not affect recovery from the first training bout. This is in agreement with a substantial amount of other studies indicating that muscle adapts effectively to physical load even when the loading is frequent or even continuous. Keep in mind that we are only talking about the physical recovery of the muscle. We are not talking about performance. After all, HST is "Hypertrophy-Specific" by design.

So once again, HST turns out not to be so outlandish, but instead, simply a derivative of the research. The results and the science, speak for themselves.

Can't this study be interpreted in two ways:

1. Recovery is not hindered by frequency.

2. Frequency greater than once per week does not result in added hypertrophy.

or...were the variables studied only indicators of muscle damage/recovery and not of hypertrophy? I am not familiar with all the scientific terms used.
sad.gif

Would it be possible for you to workout Sunday A.M. and Monday P.M.? At least that would give roughly half an extra day between the Sunday and Monday workouts.

Back