Is HST a good program for dragonboat training?

jdhar

I'm a competetive athlete in the sport of Dragonboat (think fast canoe!), and since it's the off-season now, I was hoping to start on a structure training program for improving my performance in the on-season. I have done weights before, and various programs like Westside, UD 2.0, HST and so on, but those are more focused on strength or body composition. This is the first time I have had to do something with a performance-related goal...

Since I have tried HST before, and it's a relatively good structured regiment, I was wondering if it fits my endgoal of performance improvement rather than body composition only.

How would I modify the HST workout to build a successful off-season training program? I would imagine that some sort of periodization-based scheme would be idea... ie: a hypertrophy phase, strength phase, maximal strength and then power.. but I'm not sure how to tie it all together.

Any feedback? Also, how would I tie in Aerobic training with this... I would think some sort of interval training would be good, but I'm not sure how to fit it in.

Thanks!

You'd want to separate your cardio from your strength/size work. If I might hazard a guess, you're rowing and would suppose that rows would be the exersize of choice for your sport.
I would think that your mainstay is endurance, unless you are sprinting the boat, so for that, rowing the BOAT, rather than a machine would be best. HowEVER, I'd believe that using a machine with a lower and higher pull than your normal rowing position would increase strengths hitting the muscles in slightly differing positions, thereby increasing strengths in the center movement.
Pure speculation on my part; instinctive reasoning.
You said maximal strength then power? I don't get that; they're the same to me. HST offers hypertrophy and strength together. Your cardio is your endurance factor, save for training sport-specifically for your rowing. By rowing. Once or twice a week, aside of strength training. SST.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 03 2007,18:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You'd want to separate your cardio from your strength/size work. If I might hazard a guess, you're rowing and would suppose that rows would be the exersize of choice for your sport.
I would think that your mainstay is endurance, unless you are sprinting the boat, so for that, rowing the BOAT, rather than a machine would be best. HowEVER, I'd believe that using a machine with a lower and higher pull than your normal rowing position would increase strengths hitting the muscles in slightly differing positions, thereby increasing strengths in the center movement.
Pure speculation on my part; instinctive reasoning.
You said maximal strength then power? I don't get that; they're the same to me. HST offers hypertrophy and strength together. Your cardio is your endurance factor, save for training sport-specifically for your rowing. By rowing. Once or twice a week, aside of strength training. SST.</div>
Thanks for the reply...

some notes.. Dragonboat is primarily a sprint sport. Each race is just under 2 minutes of balls to the wall basically... which is why some sort of interval training seemed to make sense. As you mentioned, practicing in the boat itself is important, but the goal of the offseason is actually to spend most of your time OUT of the boat since the on-season is spent in the boat.

As for my reasoning of maximal strength vs. power, I guess it's my definition/semantics. Strength is more akin to 'Energy', and Power is Energy over time.. pure Energy in Dragonboat is useless. If I can bench 4 plates, that's great and all, but it won't translate to anything effective in the boat... what counts is 'Power', which is how fast I can move that weight over time. Translated to work-out styles, Maximal strength would be very low rep, high weight workouts... but Power would be very low weight exercises performed with &quot;explosiveness&quot;. There is a difference IMO.

I will look into SST though and see how it can help..

During one Olympic games or another, I saw a bit about rowing. It spoke of the differences between bulky men and smaller men and their distinctive methods. Apparently, large bulky men prefer to row with short but powerful strokes while smaller men prefer to row with longer but weaker strokes. But regardless of those differences, the total power output of each was just about the same so it made no difference to actual performance in the end. The boat went as fast.

Food for thought perhaps.

If your races are sprints at 2 minutes...hey, you definitely need to look into HIIT for your cardio! That's right up your alley of training for the endurance side of things, and since it's not rocket science, I'd say any strength training for your specific musculature used will suffice for the other; then you'll have your &quot;power&quot;. The good thing about HIIT is it will exert less catabolism than steady-state cardio, so you'll be able to keep muscle/strength while training for sprints. Heck, HIIT IS sprints!

jdhar

Just an opinion from another instinctive reasoning point of view:

You dealing mostly with pulling movements:

Deadlifts (overall sterngth and conditioning)
Squats (to some extent the legs play a part in rowing)
Heavy weighted Chinups (excellent for pulling strength, lats, some rhomboids and rear deltoids)
Long pull rowing - Middle back development
Bent over rowing - Overall back development and read deltoids, alternative bent over d/b rows supported.
Some lower back training would be good mornings and perhaps SLDL's.
Weighted dips would be necessary so as to emphasize the triceps muscle which would be quite involved in the rowing motions.

The above I'd do with 80 - 90 % load and a fairly rapid cadence for speed and strength. Frequency etc, I'd use HST but other set ups can be used. Even 1 RM training would be advantageous from a strength/speed point of view.

The other normal exercises would kinda fill in to keep balance.

Hope this helps at least some.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When conditioning with weights, configure the number of sets and number of repetitions per set according to the number of strokes in your paddling series. For example, if your stroke strategy calls for two series of 20 power strokes, set your weight training exercises to 20 repetitions per set and perform two sets per exercise. If you find it difficult to complete the same number of repetitions as you have for paddling strokes, you are lifting inappropriate weight - try lowering the weight. On the other hand, if you are not feeling any resistance while lifting or, after completing the repetitions and sets, you are not sweating even a little bit, your weights are too light - try incrementing the weight.- Dragon boat training techniques</div>

This seems logical.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A dragonboat race requires a sustained, near-maximal explosive output for between 1 and 4 minutes.</div>

This helps identify exactly what you are trying to improve for those like myself who didn't think dragons even had boats much less a sport dedicated to racing them
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Primary Muscle Groups
Free Weight Exercises Calisthenics
Back

Back muscles are used in the &quot;pull water&quot; phase
Bent-over dumbbell row, Bent lateral dumbbell raise Pull-up, Chin-up (Reverse-grip pull-up)
Shoulders
Emphasis: lateral and front shoulders
Front shoulders are used in the &quot;reach&quot; phase and the &quot;catch&quot; phase
Shoulder muscles are also used throughout all paddling phases to keep your paddle as vertical as possible against the side of the boat (aka. the &quot;gunno&quot;) for maximum propulsion
Lateral overhead dumbbell raise, Front dumbbell raise, Seated inclined front dumbbell raise, Military Lift Push-up, Lateral arm rotation
Abdominals

Emphasis: upper and oblique

Upper abdominals are important in the &quot;reach&quot; and &quot;catch&quot; phases, as you lean forward

Oblique abdominals are used as you rotate your torso repeatedly and as you lean outside to keep your paddle vertical throughout all paddling phases
Standard and oblique crunch exercises while holding dumbbells or weight plates Sit-up, Reverse crunch, Trunk rotation, oblique crunches
Hips

Hips are used throughout all paddling phases as you lean forward and pull back repeatedly
Sit-up, Kick-up, Leg/butt lift
Thighs
Thighs are used in the &quot;pull water&quot; phase as you push with your legs
Squat, Lunge, Step-up Lunge, Step-up
Chest
Chest muscles are used during the &quot;reach&quot; phase as you bring the paddle to the front after pulling it out of the water
Standard bench press, Inclined press, Declined press, Dumbbell fly Push-up
Secondary Muscle Groups
Biceps
Hammer curl, Concentration curl
Pull-up, Chin-up
Triceps Bent-over triceps kickback, One or two-arm dumbbell extension, Lying cross-face dumbbell extension Push-up, Dip
Neck &amp; Trapezius Dumbbell shrug Neck rotation </div>

And here we have a break down of muscles used ect.

As I tried to give myself a quick internet education on the sport of dragon boat racing a few things kept coming to mind as I researched.

1) This sounds FUN
2) This definitely sounds like an aerobic event and utilizing strength training from a circuit training approach seems as if it would give the most carryover to the sport.
3) I noticed a lot of 8-12 rep/2-3 set recommendations for dragon boat strength training and also that exersize selections were no different than a general (non-dragon boat training routine)
4) of course the obvious movements that come to mind are rows but after reading the muscles used on each of the four phases of a stroke I just kept thinking - If it was me I'd be prioritizing deadlifts as my main power/strength focus (low reps/high sets/ high%age1RM) and circuit training higher rep GPP mentality for the rest of my movements.

Of course I didn't even know what dragon boat training was till yesterday so it's unlikely that any advice I have isn't goin to be &quot;re-inventing the wheel&quot; so to speak compared to people who actually race.
smile.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 04 2007,03:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If your races are sprints at 2 minutes...hey, you definitely need to look into HIIT for your cardio! That's right up your alley of training for the endurance side of things, and since it's not rocket science, I'd say any strength training for your specific musculature used will suffice for the other; then you'll have your &quot;power&quot;. The good thing about HIIT is it will exert less catabolism than steady-state cardio, so you'll be able to keep muscle/strength while training for sprints. Heck, HIIT IS sprints!</div>
Precisely what I was thinking, thanks for confirming
smile.gif
HIIT is good for the off-weight days.. so I think that part is pretty much nailed!

Thanks for the awesome post Russ! I tried searcyhing on google for quite some time on training, but didn't come up with much...

I actually didn't know what DB was either until a friend got me into it. I was pretty doing strength training for the years up to it, and this really gave me a wake-up call as to how out of shape I was when it came to anything other than lifting for numbers :S Anyway, if you have a chance to give it a try in your local area, you should...

The events are both aerobic and anaerobic. For the first 30-60 seconds (when you start the boat from full stop), that's definitely anaerobic since it's pure power. So that's why I'm trying to put together a training plan that will cover all the ground. I agree that it seems like 8-12 rep range seems to be the most recommended training style.

I was thinking of something as follows:

- 3-4 weeks general training - ~12 rep range, ~60% 1rm
- 3-4 weeks strength training - ~4-8 reps, 80% 1rm
- 2-3 maximal strength - 1-3 reps, 95% 1rm
- 3-4 weeks power - 15-20 reps, 40% 1rm

It's a sorta periodization-based scheme that covers good territory over time

Back