Is HST right for me?

mraimo

Hi,

I've been doing HST routines for a coupe of years now, but have developed (genetically and thru sports injury) a lower back problem and need to work on my core muscles (stabalizers and abs) to fix it.

Also I wish to lose my gut and strengthen my muscles that are specific for hockey, since this is the sport i take seriously.
Hockey training involves lots of anaerobics and polymetrics.

Am I dreaming, or can I still incorporate HST principles to my routine?

Here is a summary of my limitations and objectives:

Objectives:

1) Grow muscle (lower and upper)
2) Lose Gut
3) strengthen core muscles and hip flexors
4) improve endurance
I have all the exercises for the above.

Pysical Limitations

Because of lower back problems I would like to stay away from these exercises:
1) squat
2) leg press
3) bent over row (standing)
anything that hyperextends the back

Is their a HST program out there for me? At worst case i would rather simply do HST to grow some muscle while not strssing my back injury.

thx
mraimo

If I can be brutally honest with you.

You have to sometime or other start healing that back injury, so....take trhe path of least resitance and go for leg press, use the HST load progression system and go for it.

Start real slow and light, you will find your back getting better each day. With that in mind very light Stiff leg Deadlifts should also be incorporated to get the same result.

As for the rest muscle building elsewhere, refer to HST FAQ e-book and other stuff under general training forum.

Gut is a nutrition issue - get that under control and slowly it recedes giving way to abs

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 20 2006,04:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I can be brutally honest with you.

You have to sometime or other start healing that back injury, so....take trhe path of least resitance and go for leg press, use the HST load progression system and go for it.

Start real slow and light, you will find your back getting better each day. With that in mind very light Stiff leg Deadlifts should also be incorporated to get the same result.

As for the rest muscle building elsewhere, refer to HST FAQ e-book and other stuff under general training forum.

Gut is a nutrition issue - get that under control and slowly it recedes giving way to abs</div>
I am doing daily excersies for my back whihc involves stretches and swiss ba;ll exercises that are working great. I incorporate this into my warmup routine.

since I have 2 days a week to train what do you suggest is the best routine for me:
here is what Im thinking:

day 1

leg press
calves
pullups (back)
bench press (chest)
arms?
polymetrics and cardio

day 2

samething?
or
do I change exercises or add shoulder press and not do arms?

keep in mind that i can usually squeeze in a 3rd day in the spring summer, once hockey slows down.

2 sets hst each exercise of course

will this do the trick?

If you're looking for some sports specific performance ehnacement - take a look at rossboxing dot com, he's got some really nice pieces on GPP/plyometrics etc which will be of more use to you than plain ol' HST (though it pains me to say it!)
Before you go off strengthening your abs/back, get it checked out by the Doc - it could be tight piriformis or something of that ilk, causing an imbalance...

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Mar. 21 2006,07:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're looking for some sports specific performance ehnacement - take a look at rossboxing dot com, he's got some really nice pieces on GPP/plyometrics etc which will be of more use to you than plain ol' HST (though it pains me to say it!)
Before you go off strengthening your abs/back, get it checked out by the Doc - it could be tight piriformis or something of that ilk, causing an imbalance...</div>
Thx I will check the site.

as for my back. I did see an orthopedist, been ayr now mri shows there is nothing medicine can do to help, except help with the pain with some over the counter pain killers.

But Pfysio was recommended and yes my therapist educated me on my problem so now if I ma disciplined to do my exercises i will feel great. They do invlove lots of stretching though and I did not hear this term you just mentioned: &quot;tight piriformis &quot;

what is this exactly? what's my best resource to educate myself on this?

thx
mraimo

mraimo

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">day 2

samething? Or do I change exercises or add shoulder press and not do arms? </div>

Seeing that you are doing only twice per week I'd put in arms and shoulder press for both days.

Another thing, try to do supersets as you have enough rest to recover, and get as close as you can to failure.
smile.gif
Without actually hitting it that is, only on the last day of each two week minicycle)
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 22 2006,03:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">mraimo

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">day 2

samething? Or do I change exercises or add shoulder press and not do arms? </div>

Seeing that you are doing only twice per week I'd put in arms and shoulder press for both days.

Another thing, try to do supersets as you have enough rest to recover, and get as close as you can to failure.
smile.gif
 Without actually hitting it that is, only on the last day of each two week minicycle)  
biggrin.gif
</div>
great. so this will be my 2-day Hst program, insted of the regualr 3-day.
let's hope it works.
maybe a cycle should be 3 wks instead of the regular 2wks?

mraimo

Waht you do to the cycles is up to you.

2 weeks was chosen as a mid-range time frame to suit all, there is research available pointing two using two weeks or even longer before RBE catches up to you, that even with one load.

IWO you can use say, a heavy bench press with 300 Lbs for two weeks, because you can't really top it up anymore (too heavy), and still grow from it before your muscles adapt to that load.

Only after that you would need higher loads to induce growth.

So the progressions we use are beating the RBE all of the time but can in fact be slowed down considerably.

The time frame of each minicycle is up to you, you could ellect to do 3 week cycles each time and only then change the rep scheme.

One thing I think I mentioned is that you may want to increase volume considerably due to the extra rest.

something like 15 x 2 sets/10 x 3 sets/5 x 6 sets

Hope this helps

Back