Is it okay using different increments in a cycle?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hod001
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hod001

Hey guys,

I ran a search but didn't find any answer to the question I have.

Is it okay to use different increments for the same exercise, or is there any reason to keep using the same?

Example bench press:
15rm = 45kg (2.5kg increments)
5rm = 70kg (5kg increments)

Or, another example bench press:
15rm= 45kg (2.5kg increments)
5rm= 70kg (alternating between 2.5kg and 5kg increments)

Thanks,
Luuk

I would stick with one increment size through the cycle if this is your first HST cycle. Get the basics down first then you can manipulate the variables in the following cycles once you get a feel for the recommended progressions. Just my $.02 worth. Others will probably disagree, but hey, that's HST for you- no rules, just principles.
tounge.gif

Hod001

Pretty unusual question, thus the reason why you did not find any threads on it!

Not a silly one though! To me progression is progression, but if I did what you suggest, I would do it for a whole 2 weeks and not fiddle in between.

I actually do this too at times, specially with the negatives, as progression goes in smaller steps there for me, he..he...ust being careful
thumbs-up.gif

I also use different progressions for different bodyparts, as some compounds can be increased by quite a bitmore at a time.

Just my 0.2 $

Actually, some professors from the Advanced Secret Sports Lab at Utah, particularly professors J. Stockton and K. Malone, have recently discovered, after intense study of individuals using HST, that midway between the cycle, stress sensors outside individual muscle cells become habitually predispositioned to a certain degree of "load progression" variable - the increment size. When this variable is maintained all throughout the cycle, it was observed that hypertrophy improved by 134.75%. So stick to the same increments all throughout and double your gains!

laugh.gif
Kidding, sorry, couldn't resist. Just pulling your leg. The truth is, as long as you are following some sort of progression, even if the undulating sort, it won't make much of a difference if you maintain the same increment size or not - assuming all the increments you use are good enough to begin with.

Regards, good luck! :)
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, some professors from the Advanced Secret Sports Lab at Utah, particularly professors J. Stockton and K. Malone, have recently discovered, after intense study of individuals using HST, that midway between the cycle, stress sensors outside individual muscle cells become habitually predispositioned to a certain degree of "load progression" variable - the increment size.

When this variable is maintained all throughout the cycle, it was observed that hypertrophy improved by 134.75%.

So stick to the same increments all throughout and double your gains!

As naughty as always, good ol'JV.
thumbs-up.gif

HOD001
Use 10% for compounds and 5% for isolations, and we're sure you won't go wrong!
happy.gif

I agree with the other guys that this shouldn't make much of a difference in the end. Even though sometimes I do that (smaller increments to ensure some progression), I generally prefer to keep the size of the increments constant (per exercise), just for the sake of simplicity.

Keep in mind that the increments you use depend on the exercise performed. Compound exercises obviously allow the use of larger increments compared to the iso's.

Regards,
Dimitris

Back