Is this against HST principals?

DanOz

Hey all,

I'm having a break from HST at the moment, playing with 5x5, but already planning my next HST routine.

One thing I like about my current training is the repeated Workout A / B / A,  A / B / A style as there are some exercises I like to do but cannot do as regularly for decaying body type reasons, and also some that I like to prioritise but not to the total exclusion of others.

It is my understanding that this does not conflict with any HST principals, as hypertrophy is not dictated by specific exercises, so while group A exercises get twice as many runs as group B, this should not be detrimental.

On a side note this is what I am considering running -

A - Squat, Bench, Military, Row
B - Trap Bar Deads, Dips, Farmers Walks, Pull Ups

I throw in a bicep / tricep exercise with each (I lose arm size when I ditch iso's, even with chins & dips in the mix), some calfs & core.

Anyway, would appreciate your input.

Dan

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 01 2008,11:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks good.  If you do this, you should have a successful cycle.</div>
Thanks mate - best results I ever had were with my 1st HST cycle - hoping to repeat the effort!

The beautiful part about 5x5 is that it follows HST principles on a weekly basis. Some variations, like the one I am currently running, follows HST principles on a daily basis.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 01 2008,11:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The beautiful part about 5x5 is that it follows HST principles on a weekly basis.  Some variations, like the one I am currently running, follows HST principles on a daily basis.</div>
That's actually why I chose it - I plan on keeping the sets lower with HST, 1-3 depending on rep range, and thought I'd try higher volume with 5x5 before my next HST cycle &amp; assess the results. After such great results the first time around I don't want to stray from the general principals of HST no matter what style of training I am doing.

You doing the right thing,  
wink.gif
and no, it is exactly how the principles of HST work!

Did you by any chance read the simplify and win thread?
laugh.gif

I have read it - I don't recall anything about an A/B/A set up, but correct me if I'm wrong. Was just double checking there wasn't something I missed that makes this set up contra indicated, and thought I'd run it past those that know this stuff best.

That wouldn't be me, but I really like the idea of a regimented setup to hit certain exersizes at a lesser pace for the same reasons as you. I just sort of do it instinctively, sporadically, spontaneously. I hadn't thought of the 5x5 setup as being that way until you posted this.

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 03 2008,07:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have read it - I don't recall anything about an A/B/A set up, but correct me if I'm wrong. Was just double checking there wasn't something I missed that makes this set up contra indicated, and thought I'd run it past those that know this stuff best.</div>
I don't recall whether A/B/A setups are discussed in that thread or not, but rest assured - a lot of us use that sort of setup ourselves. It works very well, especially if you put the more CNS intensive lifts (deadlifts, for example) on the B day. This allows you more recovery than if you were doing those lifts three times a week.

From the HST FAQ book

4. Bryan’s Routine – Example of AM/PM split
Squat
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Straight leg calf raise
Chins (wide and narrow)
Dips
Rows (wide and narrow)
Incline Bench
Lateral raises
Rear delt work (dumbbells)
Dumbbell press
Tri Ext
Curls of all kinds

I'll do some crunches too. As well as stationary bike and once in a while I will jog a bit.

Sometimes I will split things up into AM and PM workouts. If I miss the PM I will simply do it the next day. I don't use a training partner so I only do negatives on Chins, Dips, curls, tri Ext, and rear delt work. I usually do 2 sets of 2 exercises for back. I don't go terribly heavy on Squats and Bench. I guess 25 years has taken a bit of a toll on this less-than-genetically-ideal body. In fact, on squats I will start with 20 reps.

Here's my AM/PM split.
AM
Squat
Incline Bench
T-bar row (supported)
Calf (straight leg)
Lateral raises
Bent over laterals
EZ curls
Tri extensions
PM
Leg curl
Leg extension
Military press (lowering no further than top of head)
Chins
Dips
Lateral raises
Lying rear delt raises (lie on bench on your side)
DB curl
Tri extension
Calf raise
I warm up on the bike for at least 6 minutes with a lot of resistance (break a sweat). I do 2 &quot;work sets&quot; after an adequate warm-up on each exercise. On off days I do cardio for 20 minutes twice per day, while I'm dieting anyway.

No...many of us end the cycle with 5 x 5, it just makes things last a little while longer, although it is not exactly set up like HST, the load principle is still there, although the 5 sets is not used much in HST for obvious reasons.

I am sure you will find A/B/A set ups in the thread, its one way of getting around doing more exercises without really increasing the volume.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 01 2008,11:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks good.  If you do this, you should have a successful cycle.</div>
+1
cool.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 03 2008,09:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but I really like the idea of a regimented setup to hit certain exersizes at a lesser pace for the same reasons as you. I just sort of do it instinctively, sporadically, spontaneously. I hadn't thought of the 5x5 setup as being that way until you posted this.</div>
For me, pull ups &amp; dips are exercises I like, but they can be hell on my elbows / shoulders respectively, so once per week suits me better. Deads are something I have never done for high reps - will be trying that next program and must admit 5x5 deads destroy me let alone doing them for 15's &amp; 10's...

And thanks to all again!

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Apr. 04 2008,13:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">5X5 deads? Not for these old bones!
sad.gif
</div>
It isn't that bad believe it or not. It gives you a good warm up and keeps your confidence high.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Apr. 04 2008,13:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">5X5 deads? Not for these old bones!    
sad.gif
</div>
The Intermediate version of 5x5 actually only has me deadlifting for 4 sets - a blessing! And I am not doing the advanced version where it is the same weight for all sets, it is top weight for set 4, less 12.5% for set 3, less 12.5% for set 2 and again for set 1.

And these murder me...

I have never done high volume deads before, always low volume, low reps working towards 1 rep max lifts. This is a new animal for me, and I love/hate it.

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 04 2008,20:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
sad.gif
</div>
The Intermediate version of 5x5 actually only has me deadlifting for 4 sets - a blessing! And I am not doing the advanced version where it is the same weight for all sets, it is top weight for set 4, less 12.5% for set 3, less 12.5% for set 2 and again for set 1.

And these murder me...

I have never done high volume deads before, always low volume, low reps working towards 1 rep max lifts. This is a new animal for me, and I love/hate it.</div>
Ah, Ok. That makes a difference.

Whenever I have done 5X5, I have done it for strength improvement. Thus, I would start with a weight that I just could do 5 reps with and use that weight for the remaining 4 sets and get as many reps as I could. I would not increase the weight until I could get all 5 sets for 5 reps at that weight. I don't do stuff like that for my legs anymore as I have lost too much cartilage and working bone-on-bone in my knees with heavy weights is not a lot of fun or very good for my ability to walk.

Back