Is this due to creatine?

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last day of 15s: As during my previous w/o, the weight I used for bench had seemed really easy I decided to add an extra 5lbs to the last w/o.  Unfortunately, I misread my log and put 75lb each side of the bar instead of 55lb as intended. Thought it felt a bit heavy and managed only 14 reps. Was cheesed until I discovered my error and that I had used 5lbs more than my 10RM weight!

This is weird.  
rock.gif
 I can't believe my strength went up that much just during the 15s, so I can only put it down to the possible effects of creatine.

In view of this, I am thinking of putting my 10RM up to 80lbs a side (205lbs total) but I'll leave my 5RM as it is (235lb total) and then up it during the post 5s if possible.

Any thoughts?

I took creatine for a while, it did some amazing things with the weigths, I had a similar situation with squats.
So you could crank out 14 reps with 40 lbs more, I would just recalculate maxes using a calculator, search 5 10 rep max calc on yahoo, you should find a page

I did that one cycle on accident. I wasn't taking creatine though, and figured it was due to not pushing myself hard enough when I tested my RMs. Either that or strength gain.

hmmmm.... interesting Lol...... do you know that I have done a kind of experiment, I determined my 15RM's and 10RM's by trial and error (lifting and writing), so by extrapolation I calculated my 5RM's..... well, then I tried to comfirm this by lifting I was shocked to see that in reality it is higher.... and a lot..... approx 40lb..... when you really try and focus to lift heavy weight you can really do it.

Another possibility: Placebo effect.

Have a buddy or an enemy load up the bar and not tell you how much and then push.

If you are told it is 20lbs less then your 5RM and it is actually 20 more......
Or you think it is 20lbs less when it is ctually 20 more.......

Thanks all. Interesting comments.

It would appear that creatine is at least part of the reason. I also think I have got stronger even though I wasn't expecting it during the 15s. The placebo idea is a possibility too.

It will be interesting to see if I can blast past my 5RM too. Am I right in thinking that creatine should have less of an effect at this lower rep range?

Whatever the reason(s), it just goes to show how effective HST is. I am a happy bunny.
biggrin.gif

Back