Is this overtraining please help!!!!!

ryder22

Before i tried Bryan's HST I have ventured through different training programs, saying that i've had a bit of experience on working out, which deals on splitting different bodyparts each day in a week such as for monday i'll train chest, shoulders and triceps, wenesday legs and friday back, traps and biceps such as that with ok or slightly good results yet still im not contented so I gave HST program a shot so.. I started an SD for 9 days then started my 15s cycle and it was somehow good for this is a new program for me however as the cycle goes heavier I feel burned out especially on the 15s and 10s that it reached the point that I cannot complete the designated rep especially on the later exercises so I ended up working out very long for around 1.5 to 2hrs.. Now let me summarize the current exercises and the sequence that I incorporate in my HST program.. I want to hear your honest thoughts about my current program if I am doing too much that I feel burned out.. Please explain, I appreciate a lot for every answer and suggestions that you give Thank You.. My current HST workout routine are as follows:

Frequency: 3x a week MWF Full-Body
Volume: 2 sets each exercise, but on calves i make it 3 sets
Exercise Sequence:
Barbell Bench Press - Chest
Lat Machine Pulldowns - Lats
T-Bar Rows - Middle Back
Standing Barbell Military Press - Shoulders
Barbell Shrugs - Traps
EZ Bar Curls - Biceps
Triceps Pushdowns - Triceps
Leg Press - Quads
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - Hamstrings
Standing Calf Raises - Calves
Ab-Machine Crunches - Abs

Well thats my workout routine.. I really need help guys and I wanna know if this is too much that I need some serious modifications or just ok that I should continue to train this way even it took me 2hrs in the gym.. I need every suggestion and thoughts that will help me figure out what should I do.. Thanks Guys
laugh.gif

not yet but I think I will get a lot of confusion there thats why im askin bro.. i just need suggestions plain and simple on how should i deal with the program etc.. what exercises should i specifically retain or eliminate etc.. Just need help I appreciate that a lot

<div>
(ryder22 @ Dec. 02 2008,12:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i just need suggestions plain and simple on how should i deal with the program etc.. what exercises should i specifically retain or eliminate etc..</div>
How about:

squats/deads
bench/row
chins/dips

You may get some help from this thread:
Simplify and Win...

Keep it simple.

No need to have 2 exercises for each muscle group.

Personally I would run my first HST cycle with the exact same exercises.

Once you have the feel down of the program then maybe do ABA routine.

But to start with I would do
Bench
Row
Press
Squat

2 sets of 15
3 sets of 10
3 sets of 5

My 2 pennies worth!

I agree with keeping it simple. I am a former drug-free powerlifter (still drug-free) and am starting my third HST cycle tonight. During my first two cycles I ended up doing too much (too many exercises first cycle), was working out too long, and overtrained with too many sets in the last half of my 2nd cycle. In spite of that I made very good gains though!

Keep it simple like Joe.Muscle and Tunnelrat say, get the feel for the program and techniques, then adjust/change as you gain experience with HST. I found that it worked better for me when keeping it simple. Don't let yourself over complicate or over analyze things. I did, but then ended up &quot;simplifying&quot; and enjoying it better.

Do spend lots of time studying the HST FAQ's. There is lots of good information you'll be able to use, and need to know for good understanding of HST principles.

Where exactly are you in your training career? ie. If you are 5'10-6'0&quot; tall and you currently weigh about 150lb then you really have to think about eating a whole lot. (I may be way off base here but I don't know yet.) The best training plan in the world will do very little for you if you aren't eating enough to drive your body mass up.

Obviously, the longer you train, the more cals you will be using for fuel and the less you will have available for growth. You need to ensure that you are eating above maintenance (depending on your height, adding 2 to 4 pounds a month is a good goal). Yes, you will gain some fat along with lean gains; once you reach around 15% bodyfat, diet down for a few months to get back to 10-12% and then start building up again.

Many, many people have built a fine foundation by performing a few basic compounds while consuming a lot of cals. Once you have your foundation you can always add in some isolations to bring up specific body parts. There's no harm in throwing in a few isos along the way, just as long as the lion's share of your energies have been directed towards working your main muscle groups.

I'd add presses to TR's list of exercises above and then work at them all regularly for a few years (yeah, not weeks or months - years!). I have yet to see someone with a 2-3x body weight deadlift who doesn't look big and strong for their height and weight.

After making some pretty good headway with the basic lifts (and to add a bit of variety to your routine) you could sub front squats, SLDLs, RDLs, shrugs, upright rows, bb curls, close-grip bench, tri-extensions calf raises and some single-limb exercises for some of your regulars. So, for example, instead of back squatting twice a week, you might front squat on one day and back squat on another.

The great thing about HST is that it is geared towards helping trainees make progress over many cycles; keep adding weight to the bar each cycle, work hard and consistently and I'm sure you will have great success. Oh, and did I say eat well?!  
smile.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Dec. 02 2008,12:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keep it simple.

No need to have 2 exercises for each muscle group.

Personally I would run my first HST cycle with the exact same exercises.

Once you  have the feel down of the program then maybe do ABA routine.

But to start with I would do
Bench
Row
Press
Squat

2 sets of 15
3 sets of 10
3 sets of 5

My 2 pennies worth!</div>
I agree; although Personally I would favor dead lift over squat if I HAD to choose - the original poster doesn't , and may find that alternating squats/deads results in a better cycle CNS wise. Not to say that either squat or dead CAN'T be done 3x/wk- it can (depending on training age and abilty to generate intensity- obviously an intermediate or advanced lifter would be fooling themselves to think this was the optimal approach to either lift) but may not be the most productive route if you consider the cycle as a whole from the view point of minimizing CNS fatigue buildup which will take it's toll on all other exercises too.

RUSS
smile.gif

Brothers in iron thanks a lot.. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.. I wish i may post new topics regularly on this forum.. HST is a great program on what I believe it is far more superior on other programs out there when it comes to building muscle.. I am roughly around 5'11 weighing around 160 to 162 pounds when I started and gained around 10 pounds on my first cycle of course theres also some fat gain but I also see some bulk on my muscles but I've ended burned out.. I've realized that I'm training too much for my current experience and the way that HST becomes the best workout is to keep your workouts simple, short and sweet.. And stupid me for training for so much volume hahaha
biggrin.gif
I'll take every advice that you guys gave me into consideration.. Thank You and HST rules the game.. Keep working hard and train smart thats the key

In addition to what I've said the reason that I continue doing this is the fear that some muscle might lag hahahaha.. little did I know that when doing basic compound exercises such as bench, chins or rows, military presses, and squats hits hard the big muscles of your body but the small muscles as well.. Keep it simple and win.. That is the way to train for most of us natural bodybuilders..

Back