Jogging vs eliptical

lizard

I have heard from different people the likes and dislikes about the two for a form oc cardio. I think the eliptical is alot less pounding and feels more comfortable on the joints.
But ol fashion running still is tougher and probably burns more calories. Does anybody have a personal view or medical facts?
rock.gif
?

Lizard

Jogging definitely burns more cals (up to 800-900/hr, depending on speed, terrain, style, etc.) than elliptical (600 or so on a straight run without a resistance program), but you're quite right that jogging's harder on the joints. Why not do both, as cross-training? They have substantially different kinetics, and cross-training would provide a more balanced cardio approach and help avoid injury.

Another advantage for the eplipical over jogging, apart from lower-impact, is if it has the handles you can get an upperbody workout. I use an eplipical to warm up my chest and arms before I do weights. Rower's also a good one for using the upperbody muscles aerobically. Aerobic upperbody work should lean out the muscle and increase tone as well.

Back