Just Bought Some Creatine....

K

Key Of David

OK so I got some supposedly 100% pure creatine monohydrate today and its supposed to be like 5g to 1 teaspoon.

I've been doing searches on it and seen some studies but I still have a question. I know it doesn't really matter when I take it or that I "load" it or not, but I have read that it works better with dextrose.

I don't have any "dextrose" supplements. Will I have to get some for the creatine to work in an optimal way or will fruit juice work? Its what I mix my whey with to drink after workouts, it would be really convenient if I could slip a teaspoon in there everyday.
smile.gif

Just throw it in your protein shake. It won't make a huge difference in the long run.

Go to the store, buy a bag of sugar and a pack of koolaid.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar in 1/2 gallon water, add 1 pack koolaid.

Postworkout drink 10-20 ounces to get 35g-70g carbs, and have your protein shake too - enough to transport the 5g creatine to the muscles. Table sugar (sucrose) is 1/2 dextrose and 1/2 fructose. Not optimal, but still effective. 35g sucrose is equivalent to what is used in original gatoraid.

And, going along with what was said before I posted - it also works OK with just protein. Sugar just makes it a little more effective.

Sure sugar causes insulin spikes which can make us fat. But insulin is also the most anabolic hormone there is. It WILL make you grow. Where most go wrong is sitting in the recliner eating doughnuts watching TV getting insulin spikes while being lazy - instead of getting them before, during, or after a hard workout - which is what you'll be doing to support your postworkout creatine.

OK thanks for the info guys I'm gonna think on this a bit. It may not be all that critical as I do take in a lot of meat during the day.
smile.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 14 2006,08:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Insulin technically isn't anabolic.  But yeah, it does drive growth.</div>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolism

Sorry, had to do it. When I teach A&amp;P at the college, endocrinology is covered very thouroughly so our future healthcare providers know what they are doing.

I also stress how to create an anabolic state for young people to help keep the few who are actually interested in their bodies off of steroids.

<div>
(Key Of David @ Oct. 14 2006,19:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK thanks for the info guys I'm gonna think on this a bit.  It may not be all that critical as I do take in a lot of meat during the day.  
smile.gif
</div>
No, it isn't a necessity. However it is cheap. Get it right with the correct amount of protein and the correct &quot;spike&quot; to get a proper insulin response for your body, you may even be accused of juicing in a few months. Then the results do seem to slow down after a while, but it is still helpful with strength and we know that if we are stronger we can lift more weight which in the end helps lead us to more muscle.

Some people are non-responders to it though. I think it's less than 2% of people but there are some nonresponders out there.

OMFG I was wrong! I guess I better go beat up the guy that &quot;educated&quot; me on that.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 14 2006,22:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OMFG I was wrong!  I guess I better go beat up the guy that &quot;educated&quot; me on that.</div>
Naah, just keep doing what it takes to keep growing.

The only science that really matters is the following formula:

Eat + lift + eat more + sleep = grow.

The rest of it is just fun little side notes to know why the formula works. Even if we don't know or understand why - it still works.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 14 2006,08:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Insulin technically isn't anabolic.  But yeah, it does drive growth.</div>
The most anabolic hormone that exists

Back