Just curious about volume Vs set

berserkerzx

Hi all, just wondering, I know there's alot of confusion about volumes and sets used in a training. Can I cluster volume like how we cluster set? Example, like 2 set of 15s means 30reps right? So assuming I do 3 sets for 10s means also 30reps right? But instead of doing 3set of 10s in one go, can I split it to 3 workouts in one day and 1 set of 10s per workout? Will this work? Does it prevent Cns fatigue? Adhering to Bryan total rep in a workout principle?

That's probably total reps per workout, not per week.
I really think avoiding failure (or even being close to failure) is key to avoid CNS fatigue. You've got to complete the Minimum Effective Volume (i.e. total reps) each workout to make progress. How much that is depends on your level of conditioning - the longer you've trained, the more volume you need (can someone please clarify if it's how much you've trained in your life, or since the beginning of the current HST cycle?). Just stick to 1-2 good-form sets per MG per workout, and you'll be fine - again, according to Bryan. Add another set (making it 2-3) if you think you can easily handle that, but don't overdo. You *could* work very close to failure if you knew you were gonna do some zig-zags on the next couple of workouts, or have SD, otherwise don't, or you'll burn yourself out quite easily (especially when doing heavy stuff like squats, bench, DL) - this is something I now know for sure.

That's probably total reps per workout, not per week.
I really think avoiding failure (or even being close to failure) is key to avoid CNS fatigue. You've got to complete the Minimum Effective Volume (i.e. total reps) each workout to make progress. How much that is depends on your level of conditioning - the longer you've trained, the more volume you need (can someone please clarify if it's how much you've trained in your life, or since the beginning of the current HST cycle?). Just stick to 1-2 good-form sets per MG per workout, and you'll be fine - again, according to Bryan. Add another set (making it 2-3) if you think you can easily handle that, but don't overdo. You *could* work very close to failure if you knew you were gonna do some zig-zags on the next couple of workouts, or have SD, otherwise don't, or you'll burn yourself out quite easily (especially when doing heavy stuff like squats, bench, DL) - this is something I now know for sure.

Thanks for the reply, when u meant failure, means the point when u try ur best to lift the weight up and can't? and how do i get the Minimum effective Volume? if i am not wrong minimum effective volume is determine by the first HST cycle(15s)?? And the volume is per workout and not weeks, i lost u there, could u give some examples to clear things up?

Thanks for the reply, when u meant failure, means the point when u try ur best to lift the weight up and can't?
Exactly, that's failure as it is. But I would also advise you not to even reach that point by finishing the set one safe rep before that. You'll know by the speed of the movement when it's time: if it goes up considerably more slowly than the first rep, this is it, stop, unless you're willing to ruin further weight progression on subsequent workouts. Again, if you know you're doing weight zig-zags on the next couple of workouts (like when switching from 10s to 5s), work to failure is probably just fine.

and how do i get the Minimum effective Volume?
This is the minimum amount of work per workout per MG to keep your body going. It's impossible to predict the right volume for everyone without knowing their level of conditioning, but 2-3 not-so-heavy sets, or 1 heavy set to failure are likely to be enough. You're gonna have to ask yourself 2 minutes (or 3 minutes when doing 5s) after the first or second set: "was this pretty easy? Can I do that same thing again?" If the answer is yes, then go ahead and do that.

And the volume is per workout and not weeks, i lost u there, could u give some examples to clear things up?
Sorry I misread that part of your original posting. Time permitting, you can split in into am/pm workouts, this is what Bryan suggests. You can split it into three workouts, this is fine, as long as you're feeling healthy and coping with the load.

For those of you splitting into am/pm workouts, are you doing full body twice, or dividing it into an upper/lower split? I noticed that once I got into the 5 rep range my workouts were starting to go over an hour (as a result of more frequent & longer rest periods), so I'm considering splitting up my workouts after I finish SD.

For those of you splitting into am/pm workouts, are you doing full body twice, or dividing it into an upper/lower split? I noticed that once I got into the 5 rep range my workouts were starting to go over an hour (as a result of more frequent & longer rest periods), so I'm considering splitting up my workouts after I finish SD.

Of course i plan too split into 2 workout, means if i got 10 exercises, 5 in the AM and 5 in the evening regardless of what comes first. is it important what comes first since ur going to rest half a day :) and then workout again, even 4 set of 15 rep multiple 9 exercises is 1 hr 20 mins >.<""

I noticed that once I got into the 5 rep range my workouts were starting to go over an hour (as a result of more frequent & longer rest periods), so I'm considering splitting up my workouts after I finish SD.
I'm having a similar issue. The hardest 5RM workouts might last up to 2 hrs, much of which I spend resting. Longer rest periods do little, if anything, to muscle hypertrophy. They are there to only regain sufficient strength. But instead of the am/pm split, I'm thinking of lowering the 5RM weight which is too intense and won't allow me to make progress anyway. The fatigue creeps up on me, and my strength inevitably drops between workouts. With a 5% weight drop on the other hand, I'll be able to rest only 2-3 minutes, and yet increase the volume. No need to fear submaximal weights: according to some research 80-85% of 1RM is enough weight to stimulate strength gains (CNS). So you do more with proper form, you finish up more quickly (in about an hour) and go home happy, and on top of that, your CNS isn't overused so you can make even better weight progression.

Back