Just finished finding 15RM...couple questions..

Jmart

after being on ripptoes for the past few months, I decided to give HST a try. Today I did my 15RM and man did it take a toll from not doing any cardio these past few months...but so far I think im really going to like it. Just have a few questions.

First these are the exercises im doing:

squats
deadlift
bench press
skullcrushers
bent row
ez bar curls
bb shrugs
standing military press
standing calf raises
weighted dips
chin ups
cable crunches

Now for the questions:

1.) while finding the RM what is a good order to do these in to get the most accurate RM weight?

2.) would it be more effective to split these up or do them all 3 days a week? and if i should split them, what do you think would be the best way to do it?

3.) How important exactly are the RM's? I dont have a training partner, so i didnt go to complete failure....on some exercises I probably could have gotten 18-20 reps out of it, so i just guesstimated, but I know they are all pretty close to my 15RM.

4.) with shrugs...is the BB more effective then DB? and as far as crunches...cable crunches or decline sit-ups with a heavy barbell on the chest?

thank you in advance ;)

Ok, lets try:

squats/deadlift
standing calf raises (do you really need these?)
bench press/weighted dips
chin ups/bent row
bb shrugs (and these? Just shrug the bar when doing dedalifts)
standing military press
ez bar curls/skullcrushers
cable crunches

Ok, I'd do it in tow different routines as it is so the "/" means that one is alternated with the other.

1) I always do them in this order!
2) As above in split routine
3) Well, the closer you get the better or more effective the program will be, guestimating is not that bad an option, you will soon find your "feet"
biggrin.gif

4) Shrugs you got my opinion, I don't really waste time doing them alone, I feel that a very heavy deadlift leaves your traps sore, enough indication to me that they have been worked at
wink.gif

thanks for the reply fausto...let me be sure i have this right:

first of all, i'll take out the standing calf raises and bb shrugs

then i'll rotate like:

Workout A: squats, bench, bent rows, military press, bar curls, crunches
Workout B: deads, dips, chins, skullcrusher, military press, crunches

and just rotate them A, B, A, B, A, B, etc....?

Depending on the amount of time you workout, you could do the abs on an off day, along with a little cardio.

thanks for the help guys...i just dont know what to think not getting flamed for newb questions like i would at bb.com
biggrin.gif

if i did lets say 20-30 minutes on a bike at the gym on off days...would that be to much to start losing some strength and muscle? i have a small gut from being on ripptoes and stuffing my face everyday and wanna see that 6pack again

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if i did lets say 20-30 minutes on a bike at the gym on off days...would that be to much to start losing some strength and muscle?</div>

No.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i have a small gut from being on ripptoes and stuffing my face everyday and wanna see that 6pack again </div>

Make the decision now if you want to cut or continue to bulk. Lifting one day and cardio the next will not give you the dual results you want.

<div>
(Jmart @ Feb. 14 2007,11:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks for the help guys...i just dont know what to think not getting flamed for newb questions like i would at bb.com  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Amazing isn't it? This forum is full of some of the most helpful people I have come across. I very rarely even go to other forums anymore.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks for the help guys...i just dont know what to think not getting flamed for newb questions like i would at bb.com

if i did lets say 20-30 minutes on a bike at the gym on off days...would that be to much to start losing some strength and muscle? i have a small gut from being on ripptoes and stuffing my face everyday and wanna see that 6pack again </div>

This is what you get at HST,no flaming hereunless you really get STUPID, which is rather rare!
biggrin.gif

Doing cardio on off days IMO is the right way to go but you have to decide whether you cuting or bulking.

well during ripptoes i gained about 25lbs (140lbs to 165) im 26 and an ecto....in the past few months, and when looking at the comparison pics i actually appear to be bigger when i was more define....i would like to cut and get the fat off and then from there i may try bulking again, but do it more clean..i feel that when i can see my 6pack again, i'll be able to monitor my bodyfat better as opposed to now..because its hard to tell in the stomach area. i plan to cut out the gallon of milk a day and eat egg whites only, rather then with the yolk and just stick to the tuna and chicken. im open to all suggestions, so fire away and thanks again

good advice on the alternating deads/squats especially.

I believe you can squat 3 times per week, but I think deadlifting 3 times is way too much. In addition deadlifts are really not a volume excercise... they are a go heavy, get home kind of thing IMO.

Back