Just hit fatigue

stealthboy

Just finished the first 2weeks of 5s and Ive hit the wall. Fatigue has set in and I have had to finish my program early without completing the last two weeks of 5s. I have been following the program properly all the way through but I do a high number of sets (20) which might have something to do with the overload. The problem is I dont want to change my exercises as I want to gain size and symetry.
So I was thinking of a few different ways to overcome overload;
-Make the last session of each two week block finish at 95% instead of my 1rm
-Increase loads by 7.5% instead of 5 to have a lower starting weight at the beggining of each fortnight giving more recovery.
-Keeping increments at 5% but increasing blocks from two to three weeks

Has anyone else had this problem or have any other advice on how to reduce CNS fatigue?

Thanks-Will

How many sets of each exercise are you doing during the 5s? If you are doing 2 or more of each, consider dropping down to 1 less set per exercise on the second week of 5s, or perhaps straight away when you get into the 5s. That may help you manage your fatigue more.

Also, you could try a split to give yourself more rest time. You said you do 20 sets, so maybe you could try doing the first 10 sets one day, then the next day do the remaining 10 sets, or do the first 10 sets in the AM and the last 10 in the PM. It may help you keep away from fatigue a bit more.

And finally... are you sleeping properly?

Tot is correct. You need to split your workout up.

However, I am confised by this statement you made:

"Make the last session of each two week block finish at 95% instead of my 1rm"

You seem to say you are now working out at 100% of your 1 RM. Why would you be working out at 100% of your 1 RM when you are doing your 5 RM's?

You also say "The problem is I dont want to change my exercises as I want to gain size and symetry." You certainly cannot gain size if you are too tired to workout. Either split your workout or cut down your number of sets.

Sleep is a slight problem as im up pretty early (5.30)with my daughter and still trying to enjoy my evenings. Im only doing one set for 5s and everything else but I think Im just susseptable to fatigue-always seems to creep up on me and thats why this training apealed to me as it controls CNS stress.
Sorry OandG for not being clear, I meant 95% of whatever RM range I am working in.
Thanks for all your help guys-think I will try the two day split as 20sets is just too much for me per session, 10 seems much easier to manage.

Cheers-Will

Back