Keep Losing Motivation

jinky

Love this site and HST. But cannot get through last session. I'm mid 40's and trying hard to get fit and healthy and build muscle. Love the HST routines and advice but interested in how you guys keep the motivation going. I know you all must suffer the same feelings - what keeps you motivated? Best thing I have is this web site (I train at home - got decent equipment now). Would love to know how you guys keep enthusiasm going!

<div>
(bara @ Aug. 08 2006,23:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Love this site and HST.  But cannot get through last session.  I'm mid 40's and trying hard to get fit and healthy and build muscle.  Love the HST routines and advice but interested in how you guys keep the motivation going.  I know you all must suffer the same feelings - what keeps you motivated?  Best thing I have is this web site (I train at home - got decent equipment now).  Would love to know how you guys keep enthusiasm going!</div>
Hi Bara

What helps me is details. I get really specific about what size I want, and how strong I want to be, then write the reasons why I want them. Generalizations, such as &quot;I just want to lose weight&quot;, or &quot;I need to gain some muscle&quot;, have never worked for me. It's very easy to lose motivation when you aren't specific about what you want. Best of luck to you

I lost motivation a long time ago. At this point working out is like eating or brushing my teeth. Just something I do each day that is part of my life. Maybe you are over thinking it. You dont have to love working out or look forward to it all day long. You just need to block off time each day and do the job that needs to be done. Then go on with your day.....

Good Luck!

Its pretty much a habit now. Specific goals definitely help like Stevejones mentioned. My main motivation is that I know what I am doing works and its just a matter of time before I get where I want. My wife does help with encouragement every once and I while too. Sometimes I have bad days. I take time off whenever I want. If I just dont feel like it, I dont do it. Maybe I needed the extra rest or whatever. After missing one day I am eager to go back to the weight room.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At this point working out is like eating or brushing my teeth.</div>
Exactly. At some point, working out becomes a second nature. You don't think about it, you just do it, like the way you go to work every day.

Working out is good for your health, too. Besides, I don't think many of us would like the results if we stopped training at all. Those who have taken a long layoff certainly know what I mean.

Then, as stevejones suggested, there are myriads of small things to get you busy and motivated. I want to put on 5 lbs of muscle this cycle, or I need to lose 5 lbs of fat for the summer, small goals like that.

Moreover, it always feels good when you are able to hit new PRs, even if it is only on one lift. It makes you feel that somehow you are progressing with your training.

Finally, working out allows you to relax and let some steam off. After a tiring day at work, you may find yourself waiting for the time to hit the gym, just to put away the stresses of the day. For one hour or so, all you have to do is lifting weights, running or whatever. Simple things that really help you relax.

I could probably think of a hundrend more reasons to keep you motivated, but I think that's enough for now. I'm sure you'll be able to find something familiar in there.

And there is always this forum, where you can come back for help, advice and guidance.
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Dimitris

I get buzzed about weight lifting in general. I usually grab a copy of Muscle Development or one of those rags where its not got TOO much ads in. Mostly just for the scientific news regarding nutrition and such. Ok I could probably get that stuff off the net but it got to just chill on the couch and read for an hour or so.

And like stevejones says, getting into what you're actually doing this cycle, like where you want to be with your weight/size, how you're progression, whats happening with your nutrition etc.

Once you get a couple cycles under your belt and realise how effective HST is you'll be looking forward to the next one.

I think as soon as there is an appreciable difference in your body through training then the fear of going back to what you were like is an even greater motivation than training towards what you want to look like!

It's like I'm not satisfied with how I look now (want to look bigger and more ripped and be stronger etc) so how bad would it be if I was smaller, weaker and fatter than I am now!!
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Rob

Quite frankly, I slow down a lot in the summer months. I'm lucky to get one or two workouts per week in. However, it doesn't take much to maintain and I don't lose anything and make up for it in the fall through spring. Plus, I am doing a lot of other activities in the summer that help keep me fit; swimming, a lot of work with my horses, farm-like chores, etc. I used to get bummed out about it but now I just accept that that is the way it is and don't worry about it and enjoy the time.

I think training at home could be the problem. I get more jazzed about lifting when I go to a good gym with some serious lifters and some big dudes. I meet people and make friends who share my passion (I am not a big talker but I am not a mute either) I also get a little competitive. Seeing some bigger guys gets me motovated. Also I see the gym as an escape, an oasis...I can leave my troubles behind for that hour and just get into a &quot;caveman zone&quot;.

So If it is possible try joining a gym. But a gym with serious lifters. Not a suburban health club.

Bob

think of someone who cant train because they are
absolutely obesse
disabled
heart or lung problems
think how they would love to be able to go to the gym like you
then get your lazy arse into your convenient gym
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

For me Bob hit the nail on the head. Join a gym, tomorrow. Don't go for one with little drink fountains and nice carpets either, go for a Rocky gym that smells of sweat with evil looking characters and a stupid amount of weights. Thats what I did and I'm hooked all over again.
Also question if this is really what you want. I wake up in the morning ready to work out, and I very often do!
Good luck,
J
biggrin.gif

What faz said! It's so easy to take things for granted. Make the most of the opportunity you have right now to train so easily.

You obviously have net access so bring the gym to your house. Check out all the cool lifting vids on YouTube.com. Great for inspiration before you do your w/o. Find a vid of someone who's lifting a bit more than you and tell yourself you can do it too, if only you get to it!

Here's an example:

Deads @ 350 x 5

Here's a fun one too:

Benedikt Magnusson Deadlift 970lb

Mid forties? Good, then you can use mine. I train at home myself, so motivation is helpful, habit is helpful, knowing I'm not a wimp and can train when I hate it is helpful. Many famous BB'ers HATE working out. It's the RESULTS we love that keep us in the iron.
My biggest motivation? Looking at guys my age, almost 53.

I walk with my head UP, man!
laugh.gif

1 - Knowing that it got me in the best shape of my life, I am 40 in the next week or so. Just wish I had the same goals when I was younger.

2 - New goals every time one PR is reached.

3 - Being able to bench press 1 1/2 x my body weight, squat twice my body weight and military press my body weight all goals I put to myself, the only left is to deadlift twice the body weight and then some.

4 - Checking many guys my age with the famous south african &quot;beer boep.&quot;

5 - Refer to 1 above
laugh.gif

I'm mid 40's as well. One thing that keeps me motivated is that when I am working out, the Pump makes me look great! Even though normally I dont look so hot (bodyfat is too high), when I workout, I look pretty darn good in that tank-top. Sure, its vain, but so what? Who isn't at least a little vain?

Another thing is that right now, I am SD, but I am probably going to have to double it to 3-4 weeks, because of a healing shoulder. Man, by the time I get back into the gym, I am gonna be tearing that place apart! I HATE INJURIES.

I will echo some of the above advice...

You need to set realistic, measurable goals.

Here is an example from my personal goals...

I want to bench the 100 lb. dumbells (right now at 75s).

I want to have 17&quot; arms (right now at 15&quot;).

I want to have low bodyfat and a 32&quot; waist (right now at 34.5&quot;).

Every month or more I measure my bench, my waist, and arms...seing even a little progress is HUGE motivation, one step closer to my goals.

Lol had a good one. That's what gets me motivated when I'm not feeling it. I look around online, watch some videos or do some reading and then I really want to work out again.

Last night my wife told me something that my younger (11yo) son had said, when she asked him &quot;Who do you admire the most?&quot;.

His reply was &quot;Dad, because he's smart and works out and stays strong at 49&quot;. I don't know if working out can help with the smart part, but it sure helps with the strong part.

If that's not motivation, what is?

Back