Keeping the Hardcore Mental Attitude

Peak_Power

I've noticed a big difference lately in my mental attitude towards lifting, partly because I'm cutting and don't have as much energy, and therefore not as much enthusiasm, and not pushing for PBs, but also because of the frequency.

See, when you do a split program, like the days of old, you focus on each body part, for instance it might be chest day, and the aim is to work your chest as hard as you can (back in the day when we believed fatigue stimulated growth), and then tomorrow would be back day, so I'd work my back, and so on, there was a focus, and each workout was different, so it gave variety.

With the 3 workouts per week, and every workout being the same, and working the whole body it kind of gets a bit ho-hum, it feels a bit general, like I still lift heavy but the mental sharpness and focus is gone. I just go in the gym, lift the weights, and then finish.

When I first started HST I was excited about this new revolutionary training program, so it kept things exciting, and I liked playing around with it and all the possibilities, but now I've been in it a while it just doesn't have that same edge.

I want to get that hardcore attitude back, where I walk up to the bar with a goal, to be really motivated and determined, and really hit it hard, every workout, every week, but when its 3 times per week its really quite hard. I've found when I only lift 2 times per week I look forward to it a lot more, and push harder too.

This is why I like to just do random stuff for fun after my workouts are over. Sometimes I just try out lifts that I've seen but have never done, or I just play around with something not in my routine. I find that it helps me to actually look forward to workouts moreso than I would normally.

I think maybe alternating routines would help with this too.

Try setting up an upper body A, lower body A, upper body B, lower body B routine. Four different workouts.

Dropping frequency to twice/week is really not a bad thing at all IMO, and may even be superior for the reason you stated about recovery and motivation.

Recent frequency study

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">These results suggest that the volume of resistance training may be more important than frequency in developing muscle mass and strength in men and women initiating a resistance training program.</div>

Another point which I believe is CRITICAL when it comes to training and &quot;keeping the hardcore mental attitude&quot; is keeping logs of your workouts and consistently pushing for new PRs, even if it is only once every 8 weeks. Without keeping records and trying to break those records, training quickly becomes stale.
Typically the people who train for a year and make no gains are the ones who use the same weights workout after workout.
And the people who make good gains are the ones who slowly but consistently add weight to the bar, regardless of reps attained. I don't think HST (or any program) will work unless the loads are increased at least a little each cycle.

Wow, great topic peakpower. This is the first thread I have seen in a long time that may be worthy of a sticky.

Mental attitude in training is so damn important. You really got me thinking about it now.
cool.gif

no matter what the training is we all &quot;lose the edge&quot; eventually. for some this takes months, others its weeks. it sounds like twice weekly is keeping the doldrums at bay for you so id def. go with it. like sci mentioned there is some discussion about it being just as good if not better then more freq. but regardless, if its keeping you in the gym and motivated.....its better.

i typically dont have long cycles (8-12 weeks) so SD usually takes care of re-energizing my motivation for me. i usually try to set a tough but realitic goal for the cycle in some of the bigger exer. (say deadl or press etc). i try not to think about them much in the 15s, just glad to be back in the gym. by the 10s i have a good idea if im progressing as i should so that when i hit the 5s (usually about 4-8 weeks) im usually closing in on prev. PRs and really thinking about the new ones. for me, this provides all the motivation i need.

good luck

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Apr. 26 2007,20:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I want to get that hardcore attitude back, where I walk up to the bar with a goal, to be really motivated and determined, and really hit it hard, every workout, every week, but when its 3 times per week its really quite hard. I've found when I only lift 2 times per week I look forward to it a lot more, and push harder too.</div>
I can only be that way when I'm bulking.  When I have cut in the past I get motivated about cardio, not lifting weights.  Lifting weights is nothing but a chore when I'm cutting, and cardio is a chore when I'm bulking.  

I just finished a brutal &quot;bulking&quot; (plifting) program and I've chosen to do the last 5 weeks of the Advanced 5x5 program until i'm ready to compete in June.  Basically, three sets of only 3 reps on deads, squats, and bench as you progress up to your maxes toward the end of the 4 or 5 week cycle.  

Seems like that kind of program would work while you're cutting...low volume but with heavy weight
rock.gif
?

Er, I don't see the problem:

Configure workout weights/progression/exercises - input to excel - print

Follow prescribed worksheet for 8 weeks

Motivation? Lifting weights; It's what I do...
cool.gif

PEAK POWER
know what you mean its difficult not to go in a gym and push yourself to the limit,by doing that you feel like you have acheived something.
when i did HIT at first it felt great but after a few months with minimal gains and a burnt out CNS i soon got fed up.
as has been said on here you could try an A,B,C, workout that way you are doing something different everytime,and when you get to the 5s really go for it for 3 or 4 wks before you SD.
or as steve jones said push it to the limits on your cardio days.

Having just bought some Oly dumbell handles and weights and having never had any real weights of my own (I don't count the cheap plastic coated junk that I had years ago), I am having the opposite problem. The temptation to sneak out of my office and do a few sets of something or other is just too great. I just have to watch that I don't fatigue myself too much before I hit the gym. I love those things. Using 5kg plates, I can load 'em up so that they weigh over 78kgs!
cool.gif

So, like Tot, I recommend doing something a bit different. Keep all the usual stuff in your routine but add in a new exercise or piece of equipment.

One more thing: I think it's perfectly fine to have a period of less intensity. Sometimes just maintaining a regular workout schedule is hard, so give yourself a pat on the back for doing that. Cutting sucks but enjoy your new-found abs and look forward to that rush you'll get when you start upping the cals and shooting for those PBs once more.
smile.gif

Funny how different goals motivate everyone differently.

Granted, I'm growing a bit &quot;stale&quot; in my current cut/strength program, but my motivation has never been higher than when I've been cutting/strength training. The concept of getting leaner &amp; stronger at the same time has kept me motivated &amp; on track for over a year now...which is a longer time than I've devoted to any specific program, ever.

I think the key is to find out what motivatesyou, and gun for it...regardless of what others may think.

If your goal is to have arms that pop out of your shirt, then it's not a crime to devise a program designed entirely around arm growth! There's no law that says you have to have a balanced routine. Weight training is as individual a choice as the cars we drive.

One area where I've seen lots of people get into trouble, though, is being unwilling to accept the &quot;side effects&quot; that come from the programs we choose. For these poor souls, there never is any progress. Every week, it's a new routine, hoping that this time will be the holy grail. So, what do I mean by accepting &quot;side effects&quot;?

-Wanting to bulk, but become paranoid &amp; depressed every time your waist gets 1/4&quot; bigger. When bulking, you get fatter. Levels of fat increase vary, but no one on the planet puts on 100% muscle when bulking.

-Wanting to cut, but become paranoid &amp; depressed every time your arm measurement drops 1/4&quot;. When cutting, body part measurements decrease. If you have 18&quot; guns but are 20% body fat, you have to accept that your &quot;ripped&quot; arm may only measure 15 or 16.

Of course, the genetically superior folks don't have to deal with these issues to the degree that most of us do, but for the most part, we all have to be willing to accept the &quot;side effects&quot; that come from the goals we have
smile.gif

Sometimes a 4 day lay off helps, not an SD or a deload but a short respite. Switching exersizes if you are doing (example only) bench, military, bbrows and deads try incline, upright rows, chins and squat for a cycle.Sometimes fresh exersizes give a little of the excitement back.
Being your own &quot;mental cheerleader&quot; , using self talk to get yourself up,mental imaging of your goals, ect. is an art in and of itself...
I cycle HST with waterbury method , keeps things fresh.
smile.gif

I am a bit with TDM, its what i do,right now in fact is what keeps me sharp to handle the rest of my life!

But I always thought keeping things simple is the best motivator, then Sci is also right, chasing PR's is a great motivator, otherwise I don't get as discouraged.

I suppose that when cutting seriously you'd get somewhat discouraged, but at times like that I just &quot;push thorugh&quot;.

this is part of the reason ive gone back to a split for a while,i mean i wasnt moving forward enough towards the end(hst cycles),having had some injuries and weight loss pb's were out,so it was hard to get motivated fully.but once i got the split going things improved,i had more time to rest certain muscles(aching joints)and could actually feel the muscles i had worked.

Although it may not be optimum for hypertrophy it was optimum for lifting my mood and enthusiasm for training.

which is the point of this post.

I'm not some huge BSN advocate but if you haven't already, I would maybe recommend trying some no-xplode if supplements fall into your cup of tea. As I told sci in his post on it before, I wouldn't take it every time you work out but on days where you have absolute no desire to get in and pump the iron, it will definitely help give you some motivation and concentration. Just my 2 cents.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 26 2007,23:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dropping frequency to twice/week is really not a bad thing at all IMO, and may even be superior for the reason you stated about recovery and motivation.</div>
Sooo, since we're discussing topic of frequency, I would be curious to know if anyone has actually INCREASED the frequency from, say 3x to 6x per week, and gotten similar hypertrophic results in half the time (i.e. cutting the cycle in half)??

This would still seem to fill all the HST principles, but obviously, burn-out would be an issue. However, making the same gains in half the time would be a big incentive.

<div>
(omega99 @ Apr. 27 2007,17:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 26 2007,23:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dropping frequency to twice/week is really not a bad thing at all IMO, and may even be superior for the reason you stated about recovery and motivation.</div>
Sooo, since we're discussing topic of frequency, I would be curious to know if anyone has actually INCREASED the frequency from, say 3x to 6x per week, and gotten similar hypertrophic results in half the time (i.e. cutting the cycle in half)??

This would still seem to fill all the HST principles, but obviously, burn-out would be an issue.  However, making the same gains in half the time would be a big incentive.</div>
not going to happen. You can only stimulate so much hypertrophy. 3-4x/week is pretty much the max when it comes to hypertrophy.

If it were that simple I would workout 10 times/day...
ghostface.gif

I agree with Sci, hypertrophy is not on a linear scale relative to stimulus and stimulus is not on a linear scale relative to frequency, sometimes doing too much too often will actually set you back.

<div>
(stevejones @ Apr. 27 2007,00:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Seems like that kind of program would work while you're cutting...low volume but with heavy weight
rock.gif
?</div>
I believe so. Especially where strength is concerned.

Back