Kind of a weird question about muscle growth

cookieman9000

Not that it helps in terms of training, but I always wondered. When it says that there is increased protein syntheses for say 36 hours. Does it mean that you're actually growing even during the day?
So if I trained on Sunday at noon and induced stimulus that lasts for 36hours, then on Monday in the evening I have more muscle than I had in the morning on Monday? Even though I didn't sleep and was awake throughout the day?

Last edited:
Yes, yes and yes as long as your diet allows for it. And that is exactly why frequency can be your friend. All growth is a reactive adaptation to stimuli and that all occurs after you exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, yes and yes as long as your diet allows for it. And that is exactly why frequency can be your friend. All growth is a reactive adaptation to stimuli and that all occurs after you exercise.

Yeah it's just kind of weird to think that during my waking hours, I'm actually gaining muscle. I always thought it almost only occurred during sleep.

Yeah it's just kind of weird to think that during my waking hours, I'm actually gaining muscle. I always thought it almost only occurred during sleep.

I used to think the same. I figured that working out as close to bed time as possible was best so I could start healing asap.

Now I've learned working out early in the day gives you more time to eat to fuel healing.

The body is constantly synthesizing new proteins and breaking down old ones. Weightlifting simply increases the amount that is being synthesized so that you end up creating more than you are breaking down, assuming you have enough matter coming in to create the protein from.

Back