I

imported_domineaux

My leg workout consists of:

squats

leg extensions

seated calf raises

lying thigh bicep curls

-------------

I've been steady moving up on the weights. I'm very happy with the results.

I do however have this nagging little pain at the top edge of my knee caps that always seems to hang around to annoy me..

Thought I'd ask about it...I'd appreciate comments

thumbs-up.gif

Personally, I have to say that I think it is just asking for trouble to go even moderately heavy on leg extensions or hamstring curls. Both of those exercises put a lot of stress on the knees, and squats and sldl are more effective IMO anyways....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Nov. 18 2005,3:49)]Personally, I have to say that I think it is just asking for trouble to go even moderately heavy on leg extensions or hamstring curls.  Both of those exercises put a lot of stress on the knees, and squats and sldl are more effective IMO anyways....
I agree on the squats, but I'm not so sure the squats aren't part of the problem, especially since I'm heavy on the weights.

I thought about the leg extensions, but a therapist friend mentioned they use leg extensions a great deal in rehabilitation of knees.

--------

I don't have any discomfort except when I walk. I was hoping this is just a temporary thing and would go away. I remember doing heavy squats with dumbbells and I experienced the same thing for a while, and then it just went away.

What ROM are your squats? And stance?

How heavy is "heavy"?

What job do you do?

Seated calf raises can put pressure on the top of the knee (depending on machine design).

SLDL >>> leg curls.

I'd say you should make a visit to a physical therapist who is well aquainted with sports injuries (most are regardless). Had a similar problem that that developed from doing lunges which has similar symptoms to what you speak of. It turns out that the tendon that the patella is supposed to slide on was quite chaffed causing the patella to stick rather than slide. I could have had it scoped but chose just never to do lunges again. If leg extensions are the only excercize that is causing this discomfort, you might want to just drop it from your routine. You won't be missing much and will probably avoid what could develop into a bad injury. As a general rule of thumb, when there is acute pain, it's your body telling you not to do that. Sounds simple but there's so many people, myself included who simply try to work through that sort of pain which is a bad idea again, generally speaking.

Still squatting with DB's? I still get a kick out of that. Good to hear that you've stuck with HST.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 19 2005,2:03)]What ROM are your squats? And stance?
How heavy is "heavy"?
What job do you do?
Seated calf raises can put pressure on the top of the knee (depending on machine design).
SLDL >>> leg curls.
3 x 15 on the squats -

I squat until quads are parallel w/floor, legs about shoulder width, toes pointed out a bit

1-3/4 times my bodyweight

business consultant

i think the calf raise machine is not the issue

sldl are really tough when squats are in my workout mt lower back really gets toasted when i do both

thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]sldl are really tough when squats are in my workout mt lower back really gets toasted when i do both

i can understand you :D

you could alternate

A: squats + biceps curls

B: leg press + sldl

i don't really see the point for doing squats AND leg extensions either...

Squatting to parallel often causes knee problems. There's a topic about this in general training, on elitefitness.com boards and probably covered @ Lyle's board as well somewhere.

I'm inclined to say that heavy leg extensions are the source of your problem, but I'm not sure. Anyway, leg extensions after squats seem a bit redundant to me. So, I suggest that you drop them for a while and see if that fixes the situation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Nov. 21 2005,4:35)]I'm inclined to say that heavy leg extensions are the source of your problem, but I'm not sure. Anyway, leg extensions after squats seem a bit redundant to me. So, I suggest that you drop them for a while and see if that fixes the situation.
I'm just about to my SD this cycle.

I'm gonna finish where I am, but I think I may drop the leg extensions and go back to SLDL or romanian DL next cycle.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
thumbs-up.gif

Back