lifting for a pump

jwbond

I have seen a lot of people discussing how many sets to do during their cycle. I recall reading in the FAQ that you want to lift for a "good pump" and one can stop once you have achieved it.

It seems like the # of sets should depend on how you feel. If you do one set of 15s and have experience no pump, you should atleast do another set or a partial set 30-60 secs later, while making sure to stay 1-2 reps aware from failure right?

Not too sure on where you are getting the "pump" from but hey it could be there, anyway when looking at the 15's it is the burn you are after, although a good burn usually coincides with a good pump, a good pump doesn't always correlate to a good burn.

The number of sets depends on what you are doing, a good burn can be brought on in one set or many sets, it just depends.

I beleive i read somewhere that the muscle is "done" when u feel a slight/mild stretch on the muscle, similiar to when u stretch. Not sure if i read pump, but like dkm said it COULD be there.

thanks for the reply guys...I may be incorrect on the exact words used.

I just wanted to confirm that it is ok to go by feel rather than a certain amount of reps on my hst schedule.

Sure you can go by feel, but when you start relying on feel too much then you may notice some changes in your routine, now will it good or bad, I dunno, but I would advise that you primarily stick to your planned routine, this eliminates adding more variables in the mix that may confound results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ June 30 2005,9:29)]If you do one set of 15s and have experience no pump, you should atleast do another set or a partial set 30-60 secs later, while making sure to stay 1-2 reps aware from failure right?
Is this correct? I was under the impression that these types of metabolic sets were to be used at the earliest with the sencond set of 10s and then with the 5s. Allthough I am not exactly sure what the biology behind this is.

thanks a lot guys...I am on my first bulking hst cycle and am excited to see how I do.

It seems that more sets (up to a certain point) help to have the muscles store more glycogen giving a fuller look. I have been doing 1.5-2 sets for the 15s and am enjoying see my muscles come back to life!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (delphi23 @ June 30 2005,3:15)]I was under the impression that these types of metabolic sets were to be used at the earliest with the sencond set of 10s and then with the 5s. Allthough I am not exactly sure what the biology behind this is.
Yes, IMHO they shouldn't be needed in the 15's or the early 10's as the rep count in that part of the routine will generally provide enough oxidative and lactic acid effect.

Is it just me or is it hard to make the upper back muscles burn? I feel like I can do bent over or seated rows all day before my back will burn. My forearms will definitely go out though after holding the weight so long.

Back