light cardio while bulking

jwbond

I was reading on another forum about doing cardio during a bulk (http://www.anabolex.com/forums/training-forum/22328-cardio-while-bulking.html) Many of the opinions don't seemed to be backed up with anything other than "I said so...".

What do you guys think? Will cardio help to fend off adding fat while you bulk, thus improving the fat:muscle ratio?

...or will it simply help with heart health and increase metabolism forcing you to consume more cals?

(I know the bottom part is true, but is the top as well)

Cardio is the brainchild of some demented exercise physiologist from the 70's. HIIT is where its at. Follow the research grasshoppah.

I altogether thumb my nose at the supposed unavoidability of gaining substantial fat with muscle.

I wish this was a more argumentative forum. I'm in the mood. I think I'll post this on T-nation.

Off to pick a fight.

-Q.P.

Q.P., I'm in for your argument
biggrin.gif

How do you figure that you can get optimal gains without any fat gain?

Do YOU know exactly how many cals to consume on each given day?

How is HIIT going to do anything other than force you to consume more cals to replace what was burned? (I saw the study of differences between HIIT and good ol cardio, but what about HIIT vs. nothing?)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How is HIIT going to do anything other than force you to consume more cals to replace what was burned? (I saw the study of differences between HIIT and good ol cardio, but what about HIIT vs. nothing?)</div>

Not to mention that it can eat into your strength gains with squats, deadlifts or whatever else you do for legs.

Which of the following statements is true?

HIIT takes less time than light cardio.
HIIT takes more time than light cardio.

HIIT requires less calories than light cardio.
HIIT requires more calories than light cardio.

HIIT improves anaerobic capacity.
HIIT does not improve anaerobic capacity.

Weight training requires anaerobic capacity.
Weight training does not require anaerobic capacity.

HIIT versus nothing.

HIIT improves aerobic, anaerobic capacity, increases stored fat utilization, mitigates muscle loss.
Nothing improves aerobic, anaerobic capacity, increases stored fat utilization, mitigates muscle loss.

We grow/recover/heal at rest between bouts.
We grow/recover/heal during bout.

I can go on and on but I think it's clear how to proceed with any question. Just ask the opposite to see if it makes sense. In the end, it's up to each of us to decide what we do.

if i wanna lose weight, i just cut out the crap in my diet such as chocolate etc then i go running 2x per week 30-40 minutes, the fat drops off nicely.if i dont have the energy to run i enjoy a good hike once or twice a week instead.

just be careful not to over do it as it can eat into your gains.

Touché. Let us begin.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
How do you figure that you can get optimal gains without any fat gain? </div>

Gym Jones.

Read the two articles on 300.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How is HIIT going to do anything other than force you to consume more cals to replace what was burned? (I saw the study of differences between HIIT and good ol cardio, but what about HIIT vs. nothing?)</div>

HIIT releases hGH, which increased protein retention in connective tissues, encourages IGF-1 production, and shifts metabolic preferences to fat and carbohydrate - its protein sparing and anabolic. Cardio releases cortisol with no corresponding anabolics. The answer to your question is within the HIIT vs cardio studies - on a per unit energy basis, not to mention on a per unit time basis, HIIT reduces subcutaneous fat more efficiently than cardio. The fact that fat loss occurs with HIIT training demonstrates that the body is not simply replenishing lost calories - its using fat stores as well.

Tot,

Not to mention that it can eat into your strength gains with squats, deadlifts or whatever else you do for legs.</div>

I'm with ya, and I think the trick lies in altering the implementation of HIIT. If you are sprinting exclusively the volume and nature of the work could negatively affect leg strength. One alternative would be to use a rowing machine. Another would be to swim using any number of strokes. You get the idea. Alternate them during a single session or rotate them across sessions and the chronic reduction in strength will be, I think, mitigated.

Because of my ankle I have been doing HIIT in a pool.

Do YOU know exactly how many cals to consume on each given day?</div>

No. But as my activity level does not vary substantially from day to day outside the gym, my caloric needs fluctuate within a finite range, just like most things. Estimating that range for both workout and non-workout days will produce an accurate result that requires less overfeeding than surplus diets.

I have considered this before. One solution is to buy a wristwatch blood sugar monitor. When your blood sugar gets low then you are out of carbs. Time to eat. Think of it as Just-In-Time eating.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Nov. 11 2007,15:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have considered this before.  One solution is to buy a wristwatch blood sugar monitor.  When your blood sugar gets low then you are out of carbs.  Time to eat.  Think of it as Just-In-Time eating.</div>
Interesting idea! Know anyone that has implemented it?

fact is, if your on a bulk it doesnt matter what cardio type you do,you wont lose any fat because you are eating surplus cals.

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 14 2007,14:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">fact is, if your on a bulk it doesnt matter what cardio type you do,you wont lose any fat because you are eating surplus cals.</div>
That is exactly what I am trying to ask! I have read two varying opinions...

1. Cardio will help to keep increases in bodyfat at bay and improve the fat:muscle ratio when bulking.

or

2. Cardio only burns some of the surplus cals, but does not improve the fat:muscle ratio, it only forces you to eat more cals in order to make the proper gains.

So what does everyone vote for?

I am thinking #2 as well and know I should do some cardio for health reasons, but I was hoping there are some good vanity reasons people could support!

So far the only people I have found that support #1 are the &quot;it is because it is what I do and it works for me&quot; crowd.

Back