light weight exercises

ltyson

I promised I searched but could not find my answer. That is not to say that I probably missed it somewhere in my search though.

This is my first time trying HST after training for many years in a more "traditional" way. I have constructed my routine and have taken my 15, 10 and 5 rep max's.

My question is on exercises such as DB Curls where the 15 rep max may be 45 or so pounds and you add lets say 5lbs a workout (40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15) how do you handle the problem of such low weight in the beginning workouts?

It would seem to me that the weight is to low to elicit any real response from the muscle even with the increases each workout. Do you just stick to the plan or do light weight exercices take a different approach?

I understand the whole mind muscle connection and the fact that you can concentrate and really feel the weight so to speak, but things like 15, 20, and 25 really are very light when your used to doing 40's or 45's. I mention the 15's phase but my question is how to handle the same issue in the 10's and 5's.

Any help or pointing me in the direction of info would be great.

Thanks,
Ltyson

You will appreciate the light weights now when later on in your routine stuff gets really heavy. Trust me
smile.gif

Don't start with such a low weight. If your 15 RM is 45, you'll probably not want to start with less than 30 lbs. Just repeat weights in order to make it fit the progression. So, 30 35 35 40 45 45 or something like that will work fine.

You should start with about 75% of your RM. Like Tot said, repeat weights to do that if necessary.

Also, read the FAQ's. It's all in there.

Ridgley's "Minor Principles" answers those questions quite well -- definately required reading. But Tot answered it well for you. Start a little heavier and repeat weights. Especially, I have found, on iso's.

i freaking hate leg day, i never knew 2x15 on squat would be tougher (IMO) then 5x5.

<div>
(duramax @ Jul. 09 2007,13:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i freaking hate leg day, i never knew 2x15 on squat would be tougher (IMO) then 5x5.</div>
no kiddin, ive just done 4 sets of 25 rep squats,i am no longer able to walk
biggrin.gif

ltyson

One other thing for D/B's use %'s rather than 5 pounds a ta time.

Yeah, Tot is right too,start each repscheme at about 70% of that particular RM, so 45Lb x 70% = 31.5 Lb get my drift? Makes life easier
wink.gif

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 09 2007,20:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(duramax @ Jul. 09 2007,13:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i freaking hate leg day, i never knew 2x15 on squat would be tougher (IMO) then 5x5.</div>
no kiddin, ive just done 4 sets of 25 rep squats,i am no longer able to walk
biggrin.gif
</div>
Icars you psycho! I just went for the same thing too. I couldn't face heavy as I have a cold bug thing but thought I could manage some light stuff. After 3 x 25 x 60kg I was fried so on my next set I wimped out at 15 reps. Made myself do another set of 12 reps to make a total of 102. Amazingly, I didn't feel queasy but i know that walking tomorrow will be a whole lot of fun!

I hope my cold gets worse, I could do with a day in bed.
biggrin.gif

Oh, forgot to add something constructive!

As the lads have stated, a good rule is to increment 5% each session. So to get to your RM you would need to start at 75% and then follow that with 80%, 85%, 90%, 95%, RM.

It's not a hard and fast rule and with db exercises you are limited to the poundages your gym has to offer (unless, if you train at home like me, you can be bothered to make 'em up yourself). Sometimes you just have to repeat loads for a few sessions. That's not a problem because you will have a decent progression over the whole cycle.

One other point is that you don't have to stop at 15 reps if you still feel fresh at the start of the cycle (although if you have SDed for a week or so even light weights can feel quite heavy again). I often do up to 25 reps per set at the start of the cycle. Just don't go all the way to failure. No point in building up fatigue at this stage. Just focus on getting your RMs for your 15RM workout. It's a killer!
biggrin.gif

i figured i had the balls to squat and deadlift the same day, but evidently not. after squating, i attempted to deadlift and my legs were jelly, it kept wiggling and i looked stupid so i switch it. first two weeks, squat and bent row, nest two week, leg press and deadlift, but deadlift first.

Back