Linear periodization

smallman88

Anybody of you read this?
Anybody came up with a solution?

Linear periodization

Perhaps the most common (at least the most well known) model for periodization is the simple linear periodization model (usually being accredited to a Russian scientist named Matveyev). This model starts from a fairly high volume of low intensity activity and moves gradually towards a lower volume of high intensity activity (the model is actually a bit more complicated than that and I'd suggest anyone who is truly interested in the topic pick up Mel Siff's "Supertraining" book for a more detailed discussion). So an Olympic or powerlifter would move from fairly high volumes with a low intensity (intensity being defined here as % of 1 rep maximum) to a low volume of high intensity activity. So the powerlifter might move, over the span of 16 weeks, from a rep count of 12-15 to 10-12 to 8-10 to 6-8 to 5 then to triples and doubles, finally peaking for the meet.

Bryan Haycock's HST program is essentially a linear periodized model moving from 2 weeks of 15 reps to 2 weeks of 10's to 2 weeks of 8's to 2 weeks of 5's to 1-2 weeks of negatives, then a week break after which they begin the process all over again. I should note that it is also periodized within a given 2 week cycle, moving from a submaximal weight to basically a repetition maximum (RM) load by the end of the 2 week cycle.

There are other linear approaches to periodization out there as well although they may be structured a little bit differently. Ironman magazine has long recommended that bodybuilders train in 8 week blocks, taking 2 weeks to ramp up the intensity (in this case defined as effort, taking each set to positive failure) and then working full bore for the next 6 weeks to make strength and size gains before backing off for 2 weeks and ramping up again.

Anyone familiar with the basic Hardgainer magazine approach should know that Stuart McRobert and the rest of the HG crew has generally recommended a similar approach; take several weeks to ramp up training and then work full bore for some period of time (some HG authors use cycles of 12-16 weeks while at least one recommends extending the cycle, adding weight to the bar, for as long as you can).

Tudor Bompa and Fred Koch (who seems to have stolen Bompa's approach pretty much verbatim) have both suggested a linear periodized scheme for bodybuilders that is more along the lines of bulking and then cutting. You start with a few weeks of anatomical adaptation (basically low intensity training to condition connective tissues), then move into hypertrophy training (generally a fairly high volume of work in the 75-85% 1RM range), then to maximal strength work (85% 1RM or less), and then to cutting (a strange program centered around 100-200 reps per exercise, something I find profoundly silly).

On and on it goes. As I said above, linear periodization is probably the most common approach to periodizing. But it has problems.

The problems with linear periodization

In recent years, linear periodization has come under fire from a number of different strength experts. Vladimir Zatsiorsky (author of "Science and Practice of Strength Training"), Charles Poliquin and powerlifting guru Louie Simmons all jump to mind. The problem, they note is this: while you are training one biomotor capacity (i.e. muscular endurance, hypertrophy, maximal strength), the ones not being trained are going to hell (ok, not their exact words). But you end up detraining one capacity while you're developing another.

For example, a powerlifter working in the 10-12 rep range (more of a hypertrophy range) is going to be losing maximal strength capacity (and all of the adaptations that go along with that). An endurance athlete doing nothing but low intensity endurance training is detraining leg speed (for sprinting) and lactate threshold capacity (the highest intensity that they can maintain without accumulating too much lactic acid). Studies done years ago found that athletes moving into low rep ranges (for maximal strength) frequently lost muscle size. Adding back even one high rep set (remember this, it's important) frequently prevented the problem.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">while you are training one biomotor capacity (i.e. muscular endurance, hypertrophy, maximal strength), the ones not being trained are going to hell (ok, not their exact words). But you end up detraining one capacity while you're developing another.</div>

Enter the conjugate training school of thought ...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Studies done years ago found that athletes moving into low rep ranges (for maximal strength) frequently lost muscle size. Adding back even one high rep set (remember this, it's important) frequently prevented the problem</div>

And vise versa - adding in just one low rep high %age set while in the higher ranges prevents strength loss ...

Thing is I dont think anyone is using HST for strength so it's kind of a mute point.
smile.gif

Distilled: If you optimize your training for one factor you will necessarily neglect others to varying degrees.

I use 2 exercises per muscle group.  One of them is geared heavy 10x3 with linear periodization, the other is geared more toward endurance with linear progression.  For each, the total reps reach a number that would create enough work to illicit hypertrophy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In recent years, linear periodization has come under fire from a number of different strength experts. Vladimir Zatsiorsky (author of &quot;Science and Practice of Strength Training&quot;), Charles Poliquin and powerlifting guru Louie Simmons all jump to mind. The problem, they note is this: while you are training one biomotor capacity (i.e. muscular endurance, hypertrophy, maximal strength), the ones not being trained are going to hell (ok, not their exact words). But you end up detraining one capacity while you're developing another.

For example, a powerlifter working in the 10-12 rep range (more of a hypertrophy range) is going to be losing maximal strength capacity (and all of the adaptations that go along with that). An endurance athlete doing nothing but low intensity endurance training is detraining leg speed (for sprinting) and lactate threshold capacity (the highest intensity that they can maintain without accumulating too much lactic acid). Studies done years ago found that athletes moving into low rep ranges (for maximal strength) frequently lost muscle size. Adding back even one high rep set (remember this, it's important) frequently prevented the problem.</div>

Within an HST cycle, you have different intensities for different goals:

15's: endurance
5's: strength

The linear progression and frequency of full body workouts provide hypertrophy.

Now, even in any SST program, there is always room for SD. Personal testaments can come from people on this board such as leige or Slapz for taking weeks off at a time from a certain lift or lifts. Once they come back to it, they hit new personal bests in strength.

I do agree that HST is more focused on hypertrophy, but strength does not go completely to hell. Rather, it gets tugged a long right behind the goal of putting muscle on. You really cannot have one without the other. Now, many of the vets around here like to perform SST routines cycled with HST cycles. Currently, I am doing both at one time with pretty decent results.

Personally, I think the concept is rubbish in the long run for this reason: someone doing HST or any linear periodization that includes hypertrophy and strength gains in each cycle will continue to grow and get stronger, so really, what is missing?
That is to say, unless it's a comparison of methods relating to the speed of development in a time period. For advanced lifters, dual factor periodization and other techniques come into play to continue growing since simple linear periodization tends to have it's limits.
Again, if you take a 2 month layoff like I just did, linear is just fine; actually necessary.

There no such thing as a hypertrophy rep range. The concept is ridiculous. There is, however, an absolute load threshold below which a growth response does not occur. This load threshold does not need to be lifted multiple reps to have any effect. In other words, we don't need to lift a 15RM load 15 times for it to stimulate a growth response. Lifting it once is enough for a growth response. But since the growth response is somewhat proportional to the stimulus, at such a light load it must be lifted multiple times to stimulate the maximum growth response possible. Lifting a heavier load doesn't require so many reps to stimulate the same total growth response. Funny how that works out since at heavier loads we get fatigued earlier as well so it's all good.

In order to understand this concept above more clearly, we just look at the load progression scheme within each rep range of an HST cycle. We lift a lighter weight than we are able yet elicit an adequate growth response. We don't have to lift a weight in the classical sense of &quot;lift till you can't&quot;. Instead, we can lift it in any rep/set scheme we want as long as we lift it a sufficient number of times to elicit an adequate growth response. When using certain methods (M-time for instance), we can lift the same load a boatload more times and thus stimulate a much greater growth response.

Now that that's out of the way, linear periodization explained in the OP's post looks just like HST at a glance. The differences are in the details perhaps.

Back