Linear progression vs. Zig Zag

Captain Crunch

I am finding that I don't really like the zig zag that much especially when going from the 15's to the 10's but also from the 10's to the 5's. I just find that dropping back in weight and doing less reps feels wrong.(Correct me if I am!) Just to clarify, I do 2 sets in the 15's and 2 sets in the 10's then 3 sets in the 5's of all my movements. What I have done instead is to just continue increasing the weights after the 15's into the 10's and I find I get a much better workout and keep the load on rather than dropping back for those couple of workouts with the Zig Zag.
Is this alright or should I still be doing the Zig Zag? It seems to be working for me but maybe there is a reason not too.
Thanks,
Mike

I personally find it logistically easier to avoid zig-zagging. Basically, you would just hold the same weight until you reach the session where the loads would increase again.

Both methods are fine, though. You don't want to do a *true* linear progression (i.e. up load every session) if it means shortening your cycles, of course.

cheers,
Jules

Your are right that true linear progression would likely shorten your cycles but I have just done some repeat weights here and there if I need to and also decreased the amount of the increments in a few spots. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Back