Little advice needed with program

TestoKitty

Hello all!

I've been doing HST almost a year now, and really liked it.
However, when I started, i used to have up to 12 different exercises, and i have shortened my program a little by little.
Now I'm starting a new cycle again, and I came up with a program as follows. Please tell me what you think about it
smile.gif

Weighted behind-neck pullups
Barbell bench press
Deadlift
Hack squat
Dumbbell shoulder press OR Smith shoulder press
Seated dumbbell bicep curl
French press (done lying on the floor)

weeks 1-2, 2x15reps (both weeks)
3-4 2x10reps (both weeks)
5-6 (ore more if capable), 3x5reps (both weeks)

I have never been even a decent deadlifter, the weights i use are almost redicilious, but i really need to develop my back.

The other bodypart that is lagging, is triceps. I have almost always been doing cable exercises for them, so now i decided to try free weights. I was also thinking about including weighted dips in this program, but do you think that it would be too much?

The other exercise that i wanted to include (but decided to leave out) was dumbbell flyes for chest, because in my opinion they have always been the best chest building exercise for me. But what would you say about including those dips, to get that extra work for triceps, and at the same time a little extra work for chest? Or, how about leaving french press and ONLY doing weighted dips? What is the best combination
rock.gif

Any help much appreciated
smile.gif

I think it looks like a good routine.  I would definitely incorporate weighted dips over french press, and would recommend incline bench as opposed to flat.  Personally, I do an incline bench and a flat bench because dips hurt my shoulders, but if I could add dips I would drop flat bench.

For curls, I would recomment either a mass building power movement such as standing BB curls, or a maximum stretch movement such as seated incline (45 degree) DB curls.  

Also, either BB military press or DB shoulder press would be better than any exercise in a smith machine to build stabilizer muscles as well.  If you decide to break the routine into A/B to seperate the squats and deads, then you might consider BB rows to alternate with the weighted pull-ups on the squat days.  Good luck!

I like the fact you aren't doing bent over rows & deadlifts the same workout. you may find deadlifting every workout too much, but since you're just breaking into the exercise this might be the one time you can get away w/ it. French presses bother my elbows so I'd go w/ the dips. this could be complete ignorance on my part, but I view dips as more of a "builder" & cables & French presses as a "definer."

best of luck!

Thank you both for quick replies!
smile.gif

Soflsun: I will consider changing to incline bench. When it comes to shoulder presses, i agree with you totally. The reason i've been doing db presses lately is, that i thought that doing smith front presses would primarily work front delts, and rear delts are the ones that need more work. So db presses stress them more than smith presses. I used to do quite a lot of incline db curls, but lately i've been doing normal seated curls. Now that you mentioned it, i just might change back to incline version
smile.gif

Terp: As i said, i've basically always done cable pressdowns for triceps, and as you said, dips and free weights are probably better mass builders. So i think i'll go with dips
smile.gif

Also, as i just read some other topics, i was thinkin about changing behind neck pull-ups to close grip pull ups. Basically because i've been doing wide grip pull ups & wide grip pull downs for the past year, so i think i'll give close grip pull-ups a go
smile.gif

Our gym has a lateral fly machine, and i would love to include that to my program, but do you think that it would overstress my shoulders?

<div>
(TestoKitty @ Sep. 19 2007,19:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have never been even a decent deadlifter, the weights i use are almost redicilious, but i really need to develop my back.</div>
Yup, me neither! But the best exercise to develop the deadlift is the deadlift. Who knew...?

Just keep adding weight, workout by workout.

Tunnel

I have reasons to believe that like the box squat improves the AGT squat so does the deadlift off a rack (rack pulls) , plus it develops your lower back.
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 20 2007,02:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have reasons to believe that like the box squat improves the AGT squat so does the deadlift off a rack (rack pulls) , plus it develops your lower back.
wink.gif
</div>
Thank you, Fausto. I will consider adding rack pulls to my routine when I finish my Korte program (assuming I survive...!).

Back