Load Difference b/w Similar Exercises

colby2152

I have been testing my RM's this week for my next cycle. I am doing bench press for the first time in 8 months and squats for the first time in over a year. I was wondering what are the usual differences in weight between:

bench press (including bar) and dips (including your body's weight)

AS WELL AS

squats (including bar) and leg press

I know leg press should be twice as much as squats.

Thanks,
Colby

I am not a good bench presser, so take this for what it's worth.

While my 5rm  for dips is 115 + BW 220 is 335, my 5RM bench is a pathetic 265. :mad:

I don't do leg presses.

Leg press to squat comparison is dependant on the angle of the leg press and other mechanical factors. For the one I use, I can press about 1.75 times the weight I can squat with (5RM).

I can dip with about 1.3 times more than I can bench for 5RMs. So comparing this to liegelord I am an even worse bencher! :confused:

Don't know how this holds up as I haven't tested it myself.

Predicting a 10 repetition maximum for the free weight parallel squat using the 45 degrees angled leg press.

Willardson JM, Bressel E.

Department of Exercise and Wellness, Arizona State University East, Mesa 85212, USA. Jeffrey.Willardson@asu.edu

The purpose of this research was to devise prediction equations whereby a 10 repetition maximum (10RM) for the free weight parallel squat could be predicted using the following predictor variables: 10RM for the 45 degrees angled leg press, body mass, and limb length. Sixty men were tested over a 3-week period, with 1 testing session each week. During each testing session, subjects performed a 10RM for the free weight parallel squat and 45 degrees angled leg press. Stepwise multiple regression analysis showed leg press mass lifted to be a significant predictor of squat mass lifted for both the advanced and the novice groups (p < 0.05). Leg press mass lifted accounted for approximately 25% of the variance in squat mass lifted for the novice group and 55% of the variance in squat mass lifted for the advanced group. Limb length and body mass were not significant predictors of squat mass lifted for either group. The following prediction equations were devised: (a) novice group squat mass = leg press mass (0.210) + 36.244 kg, (b) advanced group squat mass = leg press mass (0.310) + 19.438 kg, and © subject pool squat mass = leg press mass (0.354) + 2.235 kg. These prediction equations may save time and reduce the risk of injury when switching from the leg press to the squat exercise.

I don't do leg presses, but for dips vs bench, I can go about 100 lbs heavier for dips, if you include body weight.

strangely enough i squat the same weight as i bench,i would have to go with Totentanz on the dips vs bench,and i believe you are correct in guessing squats are roughly half leg press.

15RM tests: 145 for Bench, 200 for Dips, so it looks like that 1.3 multiplier applies to me too. I have lots of work to do to make some strength gains on my bench press, but I'm taking it one cycle at a time!

I just bought a new bench that has pegs for self-spotting, so I can go heavier at home now without fearing death. I'm going to retest my max for bench soon... after reading all you guys with the 1.3 difference between dips and bench, I figure I can probably bench heavier than I thought.

What about bentover rows versus bench? I hear from many that they should be roughly the same. My rows are better than my bench, personally...

Back