Losing Bodyfat : Training frequency

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_gazz
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_gazz

I have been reading a lot of the forum posts to gain insight into hat people are doing & frankly have ended up somewhat confused r training frequency particularly whilst trying to lose bodyfat.

Background : I'm 47, trained a long time (usually HIT) but have found that as I get older I'm adding a lot of unwanted bodyfat (I am currently around 90 Kg & 23%.)

I would like to do some HST cycles to hopefully get me down to 15% or lower which I feel is realistic, WITHOUT sacrificing muscle ( I am not niaive & recognise that I will not be able to BUILD musle on a colory deficit diet, but woul love to keep what I've got).

My question to you is regarding the routine to use to achive this. Bearing in mind that I love to train & would happily bash away 7 days a week, which routine in your opinion fits best with my objectives:

a) Standard 3 days/week ful body (with or without aerobic work on off days)
b) Whole body 6 days per week
c) Alternating upper/lower body 6 days per week
d) whole body twice per day 3 days per week
e) upper /lower split twice per day, 3 days per week

Should I incorporate some sort of aerobic work (incline walking)with all routines & if so how often. I do realise that I will have to us a restricted calory diet to achive what I want.

I'd love to hear your opinions, experiences etc particularly those who ar of a similar ageand/or experiencing similar problems.

Gazz

I would do full body six days a week, followed by some cardio a little while after each workout. I'm going to start cutting soon and that's what I plan on doing.
However, if you did do full body six times a week, I would keep the routine simple. Mostly compounds. The routine I'm toying with using will include dips, military press, squat, chins and good mornings. I figure like this, you can keep your calories closer to maintenance. The way I see it, you want to take your time losing the weight, that way you can be confident that you are sparing as much LBM as possible.

yes i would agree with totentanz about muscle sparing. drop your calories gradually or else it would be a crash diet (bad)

totenz - would you know how much inches you will lose if you cut down? i'm thinking of cutting too.. as soon as i guns big enough for cutting.

B or F (whole body twice per day, 6 times per week...basically one set per bodypart each workout...12 workouts per week. It will help keep your metabolism running high and you won't really have to have too much of a caloric deficit to lose fat. 2 weeks 15's, 2 weeks 10's, 2 weeks 5's and 2 weeks at 5 RM plus drop sets. If you have the energy, add HIIT after each workout for ten minutes.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ May 15 2005,10:48)]B or F (whole body twice per day, 6 times per week...basically one set per bodypart each workout...12 workouts per week. It will help keep your metabolism running high and you won't really have to have too much of a caloric deficit to lose fat. 2 weeks 15's, 2 weeks 10's, 2 weeks 5's and 2 weeks at 5 RM plus drop sets. If you have the energy, add HIIT after each workout for ten minutes.)
Thanks for the replies gents. They pretty much said what I was hoping (ful body six days per week).

Old & grey : interesting twist. Why would you prefer whole body twice per day 6 days per week. Would a better option not be to do uppe/lower split twice per day. I note that you restrict to 1 exercise only per bodypart, but even at this 12 full body workouts per week sounds extreme. Also, presumably you would use multiple workouts eg Chest w/o 1 bench, w/o 2 Flies w/o 3 dips etc otherwise if you did only 1 exercise throughout the two week phase you'd be looking at 24 incremental increases in weight. How many different workouts would you recommend.

Again thanks for the replies.

Gazz

gazz, to answer your question, I have posted my current workout routine below. Note that I actually hit my lats 3 times per day. I believe that frequency is a key for me to see continued gains since my muscles are pretty well fully developed already (I have trained for 47 years...going to be 60 in a month.)

AM:

Incline bench press
Chin ups
Shoulder press
French press
Squats

Mid Day:

Pull ups

PM:

Dips
Seated rows
Shrugs
Curls
Leg press

I am currently doing the workout only 4 times per week but I have had great results with body fat lowering using the same type of routine 6 times per week.

Back