Low Energy Levels

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hangi24-7
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hangi24-7

I've been following the advice from the "How much Volume" FAQ section, and so far workouts have been OK. I am currently doing 2 alternate workouts 3x a week each so 6x a week in total, each workout taking no longer than 45 minutes.

I don't feel any DOMs whatsoever, except when I started the 15's after SD. I was told this was normal because of the nature of constant loading of HST. I don't feel any muscle soreness (or very little) either.

The problem is that I find I have very low energy levels. I get 8 hours of sleep every night, I play soccer as well as my HST, but I feel during the day I feel very exhausted. This has become a problem when I actually fell asleep one time during a lecture! I eat well over 3000 calories a day (45%+ from carbs).

So basically, despite no DOMs or muscle soreness, I still have very low energy levels. I suspect this could have something to do with volume, but as I feel no soreness, I feel volume should continue. Is this a common problem with HST, or am I doing something else wrong?

I record my workouts in a logbook.

For the 10's, I have been doing:

Workout A

3-4 x Squats (9-12 sets per week)
3 x Calf Raise (18 sets pw)
2-3 x Bench Press (6-9 sets pw)
2-3 x BO Rows (6-9 sets pw)
2 x Curls (6 sets pw)
2-3 x Close Grip Bench Press (6-9 sets pw)
2-3 x Weighted Crunches (12-18 sets pw)

Workout B

3-4 x Stiff Leg Deadlifts (9-12 sets pw)
2-3 x Military Press (6-9 sets pw)
2-3 x Dips (6-9 sets pw)
3 x Chins (9 sets pw)
3 x Shrugs (9 sets pw)

---------

As I said, I have been following the advice of the HST FAQ. If I felt strong on the day and/or the weight was light, I might have done an extra set (hence the "2-3"). Does this seem like a lot? Because I don't experience any DOMs or muscle soreness so I have been taking this as my volume is not the problem?

If it makes any difference, I rested only about 60-80 seconds during the first workouts of 10's when the weights were light but as they got towards my max, sometimes I needed to rest 2 mins + between sets.

Shoot. I would be tired too. You're doing as much volume as a heavily assisted pro uses. Unless you are below age 25, I wouldn't do more than 60 sets in total per week (not counting the sets for abs). With that schedule, I doubt you could eat enough to grow LBM.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 09 2005,8:49)]Shoot. I would be tired too. You're doing as much volume as a heavily assisted pro uses. Unless you are below age 25, I wouldn't do more than 60 sets in total per week (not counting the sets for abs). With that schedule, I doubt you could eat enough to grow LBM.
I am an active 17 year old boy :D

I suspected it had something to do with volume, but as I feel no muscle soreness or DOMs I suspected the problem was elsewhere.

Am I working out incorrectly? Shouldn't I be at least feeling a some muscle soreness?

Oh, and sorry to go off topic (thanks for the feedback so far
worship.gif
), but I have an unrelated question. I'm about to start the 5's. Would it be a good idea to extend my bulk and do 5's for 4 weeks before starting 2 weeks of negatives?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hangi24-7 @ July 08 2005,10:23)]I record my workouts in a logbook.
For the 10's, I have been doing:
Workout A
3-4 x Squats (9-12 sets per week)
2-3 x Bench Press (6-9 sets pw)
2-3 x BO Rows (6-9 sets pw)
2 x Curls (6 sets pw)
2-3 x Close Grip Bench Press (6-9 sets pw)
Workout B
3-4 x Stiff Leg Deadlifts (9-12 sets pw)
2-3 x Military Press (6-9 sets pw)
2-3 x Dips (6-9 sets pw)
3 x Chins (9 sets pw)
3 x Shrugs (9 sets pw)
The volume in your workout makes it look more like a traditional lifting routine covering all muscle groups rather than HST. If those quantities are for 10's, then my recommendation is to cut all those sets in half. Ex:

Workout A
2 x Squats
1 x Calf Raise
2 x Bench Press
2 x BO Rows
1 x Curls
1 x Close Grip Bench Press
2 x Weighted Crunches

Workout B
2 x Stiff Leg Deadlifts
1 x Calf Raise
1 x Military Press
2 x Dips
2 x Chins
1 x Shrugs
2 x Weighted Crunches

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am an active 17 year old boy

I'm 20 years old, and if I went to the gym with plenty of energy and did that routine I would be tired as hell.

As for your question about muscle sorness... I don't know what to tell you, maybe the weights aren't high enough? That's just my two cents.

-Colby

DOMS is an indication of how much trauma you have done to a muscle. In a high frequency program, it is contraindicated. You only need or want to see DOMS in traditional once per week or HIT programs.

Back