Low weight\dumbell increments?

Rotlex

Forgive me if this info is somewhere, but I'm not really sure what to search for on it. I'm working on my rm's this week, and trying to figure out how to handle my increments on certain exercises. I'll be taking my SD starting this weekend, and starting my 15's the following week.
My question relates primarily to lower weight exercises. For example, let's say I set my 15rm for dumbell curls, my chosen bicep exercise, at 40lbs. Now, following a 6 day 15 rep plan, this would put my 1st day at 10lbs. While I understand the thinking behind working up to your max, and it works great on the big, compound movements, what is the best way to handle something like this? I could immediately think of say going down to only 2.5lb increments, but the dumbells I have access to at the gym are 5lb increment only.
Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Good question - answered many of times - but you're right, it's probably tough to search for. As you may or may not know it's good to start around 70% of your RM for a given exercise. When it comes to low weights, start it around 50% and increment from there.

For example:

or even start at 25, or even start at 20 and have two increments: 20,20,30,30,40,40

You get the point.
tounge.gif

-Colby

How is it that I have been on this forum for over 5 months and I haven't seen that? I heard people complain about Ridgely's book about HST as it is explained too complex to understand, but I think that was a good read.

Nopainnogain

One hell of a site, thanks mate
thumbs-up.gif

I see you quickly catching up with what we do around here (help each other and use the latest most valuable tools around to get what we need)
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rotlex @ Nov. 01 2005,2:51)]I could immediately think of say going down to only 2.5lb increments, but the dumbells I have access to at the gym are 5lb increment only.
Thanks for any info or suggestions.
I bought a set of these for easier increments with dumbells on isolation exercises where you use lighter weights:
http://www.megafitness.com/shop-by-brand-platemate.html

I just keep em in my gym bag and attach them to the gym's dumbells on the exercises I need em on.

Thanks for the replies on this guys, and again, sorry I didn't find the info sooner.
Also,NoPain, thanks for that link!  I read bb.com just about everyday and have NEVER seen this article before! Looks like a good one, and I'll give it a read ASAP.  :D

Back