Machines not allowing 5lb inc.

newpers

I go to a small gym. How should I handle those machines that won't do 5lb increments like cable pulldowns, cable rows, and butterflies? Should I just do one more rep for those every other workout day?

Also, I am new to lifting and don't lift very much.

You are new to lifting weights so perhaps you know little about it. Take your time, read and learn about it. Just like any other activity, lifting weights requires practice before becoming skilled at it. So, take your time and learn to lift the weights properly and safely. In this forum, there is one sub-forum dedicated to FAQs about HST more specifically. Begin with these FAQs:

Exercise selection:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4610

Load increments and such:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4633
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4627

or buy some small plates (1/4-1 lb.) & run the pin through them. check eBay (PDA's are pricey).

If the weight stack has a pin for weight selection, I usually just hang a 5lb plate on the pin up against the weight stack.

With the pulley systems on some machines,does adding a 5 pound weight always equate to 5 pounds of resistance?

If you are just starting out I would highly recommend you NOT use machines.  Your time will be much better spent learning proper form with free weights.  Machines are great if you have some kind of physical problem or limitation that won't allow you to use free weights.  But other than that I wouldn't recommend using them for anything other than isolation exercises.

The following exercises should make up the core of your workout. All with free weights!

Dead Lift
Back Squat
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Overhead Press

<div>
(Bulldog @ Aug. 27 2007,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are just starting out I would highly recommend you NOT use machines.  Your time will be much better spent learning proper form with free weights.  Machines are great if you have some kind of physical problem or limitation that won't allow you to use free weights.  But other than that I wouldn't recommend using them for anything other than isolation exercises.

The following exercises should make up the core of your workout.  All with free weights!

Dead Lift
Back Squat
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Overhead Press</div>
I agree 100% with BULLDOG , free weights are like the spaghetti - machines are like the parmesano cheese . Don't be the guy sitting there eating grated cheese with a fork thinking he's eating a meal!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(etothepii @ Aug. 27 2007,12:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">With the pulley systems on some machines,does adding a 5 pound weight always equate to 5 pounds of resistance?</div>
I highly doubt it

I think the only machines that come close to free weights are hammer strength machines.

Other than that the 'pulley' type machine IMHO give you a false sense of strength. But that is just me

As an example my 5 RM bench is 255.
On the machine it's 285...I wish I could do that on a 'free bench' soon very soon
smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Aug. 27 2007,12:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Bulldog @ Aug. 27 2007,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are just starting out I would highly recommend you NOT use machines. Your time will be much better spent learning proper form with free weights. Machines are great if you have some kind of physical problem or limitation that won't allow you to use free weights. But other than that I wouldn't recommend using them for anything other than isolation exercises.

The following exercises should make up the core of your workout. All with free weights!

Dead Lift
Back Squat
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Overhead Press</div>
I agree 100% with BULLDOG , free weights are like the spaghetti - machines are like the parmesano cheese . Don't be the guy sitting there eating grated cheese with a fork thinking he's eating a meal!
biggrin.gif
</div>
I agree 110%

Free weights are the way to to go

The only machine I use is the hammer strength one for military press only because I don't like the way my back arches with a barbell standing or sitting.

I tried with DB and the result is the same.

Back