Martial Arts and HST

ivo

Hey Guys,

I am getting back into my martial arts after a layoff from injury. I would like to hear other peoples experiences/knowledge with HST and MA. I am wondering if it is detrimental to HST in terms of creating high muscular tension and fibre recruitment from punching, kicking and grappling and if this has any diminishing effects on the mechanical load principle of HST?

Cheers,
Ivo
Perth,
Western Australia

Well I am not a martial artist...but I would say dont worry about it.

Go with a regualar cycle of hst and if you are not recovering just lower your volume.

I've trained in shotokan karate and san soo kungfu for over 20 years.  I took some time off while I was getting fat and lazy but have been training again for the last 3 years along with weight training.  Go ahead and do both.  Your martial arts training may cost you some size because of the intense cardiovascular workouts involved if you don't eat enough.  But if you eat enough to support it, both types of training will be very beneficial.  The improved balance and body awareness from the MA training will improve the quality of your weight training.  The extra strength will improve your martial arts.

Many fighters will tell you that weight training isn't beneficial, or that you'll get muscle bound, or that if your technique is good you don't need to be big and strong...however, think about it - who would you rather NOT step into the ring with...two equally prepared fighters, exactly the same skill level, exactly the same quality of technique delivery, exactly the same speed.  One is 130lbs, the other is 230lbs and shredded.

Just make sure you eat enough quality food and get enough sleep.

BTW, the extra size helps in other ways too. Last spring there were a couple of incidents where fighting was unavoidable because I weighed 170lbs, was outnumbered, cornered behind a gas station, and couldn't get away. The skills helped end it without getting hurt and I didn't have to hurt them too bad. They went to sleep and left me alone. Move forward in time to a couple of weeks ago, same punk, two different friends, similar situation. I was a bit over 200lbs then. One step towards them, the new friends said, "F*#! you man to the original punk and ran away, leaving him alone to run away too.

So the moral of the story is, "bigger is always better".

I've been into Wing Chun Kung Fu for a long time, though I no longer train every week. Just do HST as usual, try to keep your HST workouts on days that you will not be training in your martial art. As long as you eat plenty, weightlifting will only improve your martial art. You will become more in touch with your body, more aware of your limbs and stronger, which will help you regardless of what art you pursue. Only an idiot would say that lifting is detrimental to your art,

Not Hijacking, but Totentanz I just wanted to say that Wing Chun is one of the most beautiful arts I've seen.  There is nothing pretty about the styles I've trained in.  Then when they evolved into my own methods (can't call it a style anymore because it's not true to either one) they got even uglier.  I do love to watch the ones that have some "art" to the martial art.  Very graceful, and with a good practicioner, also effective.

Yes, Wing Chun is a rather graceful looking art. I'd recommend learning at least the first two hand forms, because not only does it look graceful, but it is an extremely effective art. It is easy to learn and takes very little time to become proficient. I follow the Yip Man lineage, but other lineages should be similar. It's well worth spending a year or so on.

use it as a cardio workout on non weight days
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back