Max-Stimizing HST

Blizz

Hello everyone,

I read about both HST and Max-Stim and both makes great sense. Then I got an idea, what about mixing both like:

Mon: Max-Stim 15RM x 30 reps
Wed: Max-Stim 10RM x 20 reps
Fri: Max-Stim 5RM x 10 reps

Then repeat next week with new RM.

Then we would have the best of both worlds

What do you think ?

Blizz

<div>
(Blizz @ Jul. 30 2007,18:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read about both HST and Max-Stim and both makes great sense. Then I got an idea, what about mixing both like:

Mon: Max-Stim 15RM x 30 reps
Wed: Max-Stim 10RM x 20 reps
Fri: Max-Stim 5RM x 10 reps

Then repeat next week with new RM.</div>
What you have described would be more like Max Stim-lite and HST-zero.

Dan Moore's Max Stim site usually recommends about 20 reps, rather than only 15. HST usually recommends two weeks of weights ever increasing to your 15 RM, followed by two weeks leading to your 10 RM. Then two weeks leading to your 5 RM, and eventually another several weeks of 5 RM's or negatives.

The idea of doing 15's, 10's, and 5's in one week has little or nothing to do with either HST or Max Stim. However, I agree with you that a combination of the two systems might be interesting.

I've been following (roughly) the HST 15, 10, 5 RM two-week sequence of weights, but using 25 Max Stim reps for each exercise. (I had originally begun with 20 MS reps, but increased to 25 when I decreased my number of workouts per week).

I've been impressed that I have been able to increase both the weights used and my TUT. I am now in my seventh week and have managed to surpass all my previously set RM's.

I follow the normal HST routine, but in the post-5s I maxstim until it starts to take too long... then I max stim negs on the exercises that negs are possible.

Like bgates1654 I think the best hybrid is to do Max-Stim once you reach the end of the 5s as it will allow you to increment the loads a bit further while still allowing you to get enough work done AND while helping to keep the fatiguing effects as low as possible in a reasonable time.

As a beginning lifter, doing what you suggested would work for a while but a seasoned lifter would stall out very quickly. Submax load are not the enemy so starting off with your RMs just means you will stall out sooner.

Mikeynov has suggested an HST scheme where you combine 15s, 10s and 5s each week. If you did what you suggest but started at 75% of 1RM for all lifts and then incremented 5% each week that would give you 6 weeks to reach your maxes and then you could push further over the following few weeks to find your new maxes.

Max-Stimizing
biggrin.gif
That's cute I'll have to remember that

Yeah, if you did it the way Lol suggests, then it would still follow HST principles and give you the benefits of Max-stim's fatigue management. The way you currently have it set up totally removes progressive load, which would be less optimal than Lol's suggestion.

Avi1985

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What is max stim? </div>

It is a training method which centers itself on beating fatigue, by using M-time (between each rep - a brief rest period), which is accomplished by re-racking the weight you're using after each rep.

The method itself uses 20 reps, check below this small extract:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Progression and starting intensity.
The progression is set up in an undulating linear fashion. There are 3 phases to this program.
Phase 1- Using your 10 RM load 4 workouts per week
Phase 2- Using your 8 RM load 4 workouts per week
Phase 3- Using your 6 RM load 4 workouts per week
Each phase starts out at 75% of the RM for that phase and increases over the duration to a maximum of 110% of the RM.
Example.
10RM load = 100 lbs
Week 1
Workout 1, A routine- 20 Reps –75 lbs.
M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 2, B routine- 20 reps –75 lbs.
M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 3, A routine-20 reps – 80 Lbs
M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 4, B routine- 20 reps –80 lbs.
M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Week 2
Workout 5, A routine-20 reps – 85 Lbs
M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 6, B routine- 20 reps –85 lbs.
M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 7, A routine-20 reps – 90 Lbs
M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 8, B routine- 20 reps –90 lbs.
M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Week 3
Workout 9, A routine-20 reps – 95 Lbs
Workout 10, B routine- 20 reps –95 lbs.
Workout 11, A routine-20 reps – 100 Lbs
Workout 12, B routine- 20 reps –100 lbs.
Week 4
Workout 13, A routine-20 reps – 105 Lbs
M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 14, B routine- 20 reps –105 lbs.
M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 15, A routine-20 reps – 110 Lbs
M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
Workout 16, B routine- 20 reps –110 lbs.
M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.
For planning your routine please download the Excel Spreadsheet @ http://www.hypertrophy-research.com/maxstim/maxstim.xls
Increasing the reps-The system is based on 20 reps throughout the cycle. This can be changed if desired. However I do recommend trying to stick to at least 15- 20 reps as it allows sufficient TUT and it is much easier than trying to identify varying reps when fatigue is manipulated in this way.
Decreasing the duration- to decrease the duration from 12 weeks to fewer simply remove the duplicate intensity workouts IE each or every other workout would increase in intensity.</div>

Apart from this maybe you should dowload the E-book from Dan's website.

Keeping to the thread's orginal intention, we already use max stim after the 5's...quite useful mind you!

But the OP's message misses the point, can't see any mix of HST/Max Stim in there, rather in the way we do it...yes.
sad.gif

I dont get it. You do 1 rep, rest a few seconds, and then more one rep untill you get to 20 reps. Or you do it untill 5 reps with 4 sets? or you cluster?

Avi1985

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You do 1 rep, rest a few seconds, and then more one rep untill you get to 20 reps</div>

You got it = 20 reps with 5 RM weights, sounds good does it not? That is why we use it after 5's.
wink.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 31 2007,06:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...Submax load are not the enemy so starting off with your RMs just means you will stall out sooner...</div>
Your entirely right. If people accepted this, then they would be able to make better gains than what they do. Maxing out all the time does not work.

Back