Maxes and number of sets

Datoyminaytah

It seems to be popular to do one set of 15's, two sets of 10's, and three sets of 5's.

How can that work? If you do the first set of 10 using your 10rm weight, how can you expect to complete another set of 10? Likewise with 5's, how can you complete 3 sets of 5 with a weight that was supposed to be your 5rm?

Do people do this straight-set style, or circuit-style?

I'm one workout away from my 10 rep max. I've been having trouble completing my second sets. Well, I've completed them, but I know I was on my absolute last rep for many of the exercises.

Is that normal, or did I just aim too high for my 10 rep max? I checked my log and what I'm using for 10 rep max just happened to be what I was doing for 3 sets of 8 reps just before I started HST.

I'm wondering whether I should...

- Just try my scheduled weights on Friday, because I haven't failed yet, although I was very close

- Do the same weights Friday as I did Wednesday

- Skip Friday because Wednesday was so intense, CNS needs rest before starting 5's next Monday

I also need to plan my 5's. I'm thinking I may want to undershoot my max by 5 pounds.

I think that when you will arrive to 5rm workout you should be a little more strong than when you tested it.
Anyway you can do something like that

1x5
1x5
1x3
1x2
------
TOT 15Reps

<div>
(Datoyminaytah @ Sep. 28 2006,07:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How can that work? If you do the first set of 10 using your 10rm weight, how can you expect to complete another set of 10? Likewise with 5's, how can you complete 3 sets of 5 with a weight that was supposed to be your 5rm?</div>
I think different people handle it differently. For me, by the time I get to my 10 RM, I've gained some strength so that I can handle two sets. In cases where that doesn't happen, I do ten on my first set, then cluster the rest. Same goes for 5RM.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How can that work? If you do the first set of 10 using your 10rm weight, how can you expect to complete another set of 10? Likewise with 5's, how can you complete 3 sets of 5 with a weight that was supposed to be your 5rm?

Do people do this straight-set style, or circuit-style?</div>

Simple...it works, you only at the RM on the last day of each microcycle (every two weeks), besides you are supposed to be a little bit stronger (most times, the may be some exceptions) by the time you reach the RM day, in which case you will have no problems.

Most of us do it straight set style.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is that normal, or did I just aim too high for my 10 rep max? I checked my log and what I'm using for 10 rep max just happened to be what I was doing for 3 sets of 8 reps just before I started HST.</div>

Did you SD? Did you check your maxes out or just guesstimated them? If you did, just drop 5 pounds or so and carry on, if not don't worry, you have not failed yet!

How is your growth so far?

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 28 2006,09:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How is your growth so far?</div>
None to speak of, judging only by bicep, which is all I measure semi-regularly. I'll compare full measurements at the end of the cycle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">None to speak of, judging only by bicep, which is all I measure semi-regularly. I'll compare full measurements at the end of the cycle. </div>

Poor choice of measurement, check other sites...I know...I know...the guns are important but so are the legs, chest etc, etc.

Eat big mate, at least over 500 calories above your Resting Meatbolic Rate, else it willl not help!

My first cycle, I did 2x15, 3x10, 5x5. When I reached my former max at the end of each rep period I had a new max - the ability to do more sets with the same weight. Great gains from it too.

My second cycle I'm doing more like reccomended 1x15, 2x10, 3x5. Tomorrow I reach the end of the 15's.

I'm not seeing the same kind of gains, but still improving.

If you can't get all your reps when doing multiple sets, simply put the bar down, take a short 30 second rest then resume the set and finish it.

After you've done a couple of cycles you'll learn exactly how to apply the pricipals best to your body. I'm still learning myself and the only way to get it right is to try different variations that you see others are using but stay within the principals. Once you decide what to do though - stick with it till the end of the cycle to give it a full and fair evaluation as long as it isn't injuring you.

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 28 2006,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Poor choice of measurement, check other sites...</div>
OK, well, shoulders seem to be over an inch more, if I measured correctly, and chest about an inch, maybe a little less. Waist slightly down. But I'm the same weight as when I took all my measurements.

Well that's great then! You lost fat, evidently, due to the waist size and weight factors. Plus gained muscle; a lot of it. Hold a pound of MEAT in your hand and think about it. I think you're doing okay.
As you get into more cycles, you will have a better idea of true maxes, failure points and such; it's just that HST is different in so many ways from traditional training.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 02 2006,07:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You lost fat, evidently</div>
That's what I'm confused about. My bioelectric impedance scale says I'm the same fat percentage, or maybe a little more.

It has a &quot;normal&quot; mode and an &quot;athete&quot; mode. The &quot;athlete&quot; mode registers significantly less fat than &quot;normal&quot; mode.

So what does that mean? It overestimates fat on &quot;athletes&quot;? So, as I transform from &quot;normal&quot; to &quot;athletic&quot; it will progressively overestimate my fat, offsetting actual fat losses? That really stinks.
smile.gif

My calipers measure my bodyfat as somewhere in between what the scale shows in &quot;normal&quot; and &quot;athlete&quot; modes.

Dont bother using bio impedance scales to measure bodyfat they can be very unaccurate from personal experience so far &amp; from what ive seen others say.  
mad.gif

Just use your calipers and track the mm changes in the different areas you measure, or tape measurents etc if your waist is smaller obviously you've lost fat.
Though if your eating over maintenance i dont see why you would be, are you making sure to be eating enough? you should be putting on weight, getting stronger etc. Being the same weight and struggling with your weights before you reach your maxes would seem to be a sign you should be eating more if your goal is to get bigger?

JonnyH is at least partially right on the bio impedance scale. Mine actually is quite close, but you need to verify it with other means first - I did both calipers and hydrostatic weighing before I would trust it. This is a very individual thing and it may not work well for you. As to the &quot;athletic&quot; mode, mine reads about 1/2 the normal and is laughable.

Back