Maxes

Eternal

Hey...

Whats the best way to find my maxes of the exercises im going to do?

Also, what about pull ups etc, I probably can't do 15!

I think it was documented in the "HST FAQ's".  Basically, if you know your 15RM, you can calculate (i.e., guestimate) your 10RM and then your 5RM.  The calulations are:

10RM = 15RM * 1.2
5RM = 10RM * 1.15

You can work with the formulas to estimate your maxes in either direction, depending on what your base starting point (RM) may be.

I've used this for my maxes and found that they are pretty close.  I used the calcs to test my RM's and found that I could up the weight slightly on a few exercises, but the calcs were usually within 5 - 10 lbs.  I err on the side of caution for the maxes, meaning that when the weight was just above a 5lb multiple, I'd round the weight down to the 5lb multiple.  So, if bench came out to 127, for example, I'd round down to 125.  If it was 128 lbs or 129 lbs, I'd go ahead and round up.

As for pull-ups, a lot of gyms have assisted pull-up machines with counter-weights to lighten the load.  Otherwise, use a wide bar on a lat pulldown to get similar benefits of a pull up.

Hope that helps.

or go in the gym test your maxes
15s mon
10s tue
5s wed
cool.gif

I made a spreadsheet for HST, Im still working on it a lot but the calculator for your 15, 10, 5 and 1 rep maxes work great and its very accurate. It currently rounds to the nearest 5 though so sometime you might find that last rep a little intense if your 5 rep max was 44.5, because you would be lifting a little extra weight.

Edit the spreadsheet all you want, I am new to HST and will be changing it as I learn more and my workout becomes less vanilla and more me.

I should probably point out that you need the analysis toolpacks installed inorder to view it correctly.

Go to TOOLS=>ADDINS=>>select the top two analysis tookpacks=>click ok

I dont think you need the VB tookpack though.

For me guessing (er, calculating from formulae
smile.gif
) your RMs for your first cycle is not great. Estimating 15s is often way off for me. Why not use the 'guestimators' to give you a good idea of the weight to aim for for each exercise and then try it out for real.

Taking a week to find your RMs will give you a really good workout and you will be working through your exercises in the order that you will be doing them during your cycle. So, if you are a bit tired when you do dips after having done bench, this will be reflected in the maxes that you record.

Either do what Faz says or do 15s on Monday, 10s on Wednesday & 5s on Friday. Then SD for as long as you need to (at least 9 days).

Not to be overlooked is the very positive psychological effect from arriving at your RMs at the end of each 2 week mesocycle and finding that you can achieve them with a rep or two still in the tank. Estimating RMs never has quite the same effect as you can't be sure what your RMs really were.

Re chins: I do pulldowns until 5s and then switch to chins for 5s and post-5s. Seems to work really well.

I agree with Lol.  I prefer to find my actual RM's.  However, to narrow down the "search", I like to do the calculation first.  This helps me reduce the wasted effort and time of just guessing.  As I mentioned, the calculation provides a pretty good starting point.  If the weight is not "perfect", I think it ends up being a lot closer than an otherwise educated guess on my part.

I still advocate DOING the lifts to verify the calculation.  The time spent during that week (15's; 10's; 5's) is worth it.

<div>
(Chuck L Head @ Apr. 30 2006,09:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The time spent during that week (15's; 10's; 5's) is worth it.</div>
I agree 100%!

I went in today to determine my 15 RM. Yowza! anywhere between 2-4 sets at 15 reps for 10 exercises is a real kick in the a$$ - great workout and I haven't even started!
biggrin.gif

Back