i am in the 5s and am using the following compounds:

3x a week mwf:
Incline BB Bench
Rows
Leg Presses
DB Shoulder Press
Wide Grip Pulldowns
(Leg raises for abs)

i want to maximize glycogen storage in my arms and am curious what should be done to do so. in the past i noticed lighter weights, 3-5 sets, 10-12reps with short rest periods between sets worked well. i try to really squeeze the muscle as hard as i can each rep and it makes the bis and tris feel like they are going to explode.

i was thinking doing (using about 55% of 10RM) 3-5 sets of 10-12reps with 30-60 rest periods. i would do these either at the end of mwf routine, or seperately on tue,thurs,sat

id like to hear input on all of this...

should i change weight/sets/reps to maximize glycogen?
should i do it mwf or tue,thurs,sat?
anything else i can do to maximize glycogen?

ps - i was doing 2 seperate full body routines 4-5 times a week, but am now getting too tired from that with the heavier weights in the 5s. i started the above 3 day a week routine earlier today.

I do:

Heavy skulls, going straight into 20-30 reps of CG BP using that weight (as in I just go straight from the last skull rep to CGBP with the E-Z bar).

DB curls - 8RM-10RM, then immediately work down the rack doing as many on ~ 75% of that weight, then next DB down etc. until 30 reps reached.

I start on 27.5kg DBs, end up on ~ 15s.

jester, what is cgbp? it seems like you are doing break down sets. heavy weights to almost failure immediately followed by lighter weights almost to failure and repeat... correct? has this worked well for you?

I am currently trying the following:

super setting machine tri ext. and standing db curls alternating between the two with no rest for 3 sets each for 10 reps. I use about 50% weight of my 10rm and squeeze each rep painfully hard. by my last rep, the pump makes my muscles feel like they are going to pop!

Can anyone else list what they do (not regularly, but for maximum glycogen storage). Please list in the following format.

Exercises: Standing DB Curls & Machine Tri. Ext.
Sets: 3 of each exercise
Reps: 10 each set
Rest time: ~30secs (since I alternate it takes about 30secs from one to the other)
Weight: 50% of RM

This has worked well in the past for me, but I am curious if there is anything i can tweak to improve my results. suggestions?

CGBP = Close Grip Bench Press

It's pretty common for people to do a set of CGBP's immediately after the skulls. Lots of reps. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Dec. 15 2005,8:29)]CGBP = Close Grip Bench Press
It's pretty common for people to do a set of CGBP's immediately after the skulls. Lots of reps. :)
yeah i like cgbp, but it hurts my wrists when i get to the heavier weights.

i am assuming you do them as a super set at a low weight immediately following you last set of skulls?

so in the 5s do you do 3 sets of an exercise, doing one superset with another exercise immediately after the 3rd set?

also, if you keep the weight the same and do a superset you would be dangerously flirting with failure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ Dec. 16 2005,4:21)]so in the 5s do you do 3 sets of an exercise, doing one superset with another exercise immediately after the 3rd set?
also, if you keep the weight the same and do a superset you would be dangerously flirting with failure.
not really because cgbp is easier than skulls with the same weight :D

if you want to do a drop set then just drop the weight..i personaly dont do arm isos in the 5s..i do all compounds 3sets but when i get to the post 5s i do 2sets of compounds with a metabolic set :)

please define a metabolic set.

just looking for ways to increase glycogen storage throughout the hst mini cycles. i think for now i am going to stick to what i am doing. ill report back how it worked for me in a couple of weeks.

a metabolic set, say your 5rep max for bb curls is 40k your 15rep max is 25k you do
1set of 5 40k
1set of 5 40k then drop the bar and pick up the 25k bar and rep out untill you cant do any more :D

well its not exactly a drop set ...a drop set you keep dropping the weight ..metabolic set you only drop once and rep out. :D

The skulls load is my 5RM ~ 60kg or so.

I man CGBP ~ 85-90kg, so doing a set of 20 or so reps of CGBP @ 65kg doesn't bring me to failure or anywhere near it.

The reason I do it this way is because you get the strain/load-stimulus, and metabolic at once. It takes less time, get a great pump etc. I've noticed that my arms are a lot more full at rest now.

Back