MedX/Nautilus Pull Over

adb1x1

I've been considering replacing chins/pulldowns with the MedX pullover next cycle, but I have a few reservations about it's effectiveness in HST.

It's purported to have a large ROM (250 deg), but I'm wondering if it's really a good stretch oriented exercise.

I tested one a bit a few days ago (Now that was fun! Getting into it was a challenge because MedX separated the left and right sides, unlike the older Nautilus pullover) and it seems to be a bit more oriented toward contraction than stretch.

As your arms come up over your head, it seems the lats are less involved than they are with chins or a pulldown movement.

Any positive/negative experiences with the pullover machines?

Yeah, but I keep returning to the original one: a barbell.
laugh.gif

Not a direct answer to your question but , I've been trying this movement that doesnt seem to have an official name yet and find it stimulates my lats comparable to the way the ORIGINAL nautilus seemed to hit lats better than any alternative lat movement I've personally tried. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I found it on BB.com
blush.gif

the start:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachm....7873621

the finish:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachm....7873632

The whole thread I found this on:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=588364

smile.gif

Interesting exercise Russ... dips w/o resting on your elbows without using your hands. BTW, he calls them lat shrugs.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 25 2007,07:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Interesting exercise Russ... dips w/o resting on your elbows without using your hands.  BTW, he calls them lat shrugs.</div>
Further in the thread he is confronted by someone claiming to be Paul Kelso who rather politely claims &quot;ownership&quot; of the name so the term Lat flyes is proposed and blah , blah until I cant tell the &quot;officiaL &quot; name anymore - and everyone knows that un-named exersizes actually eat your muscles...
tounge.gif

It isn't a lat fly. Lat flys are the reverse of a pec fly done with DB's or on a machine. Lat shrugs seems to be the best name, either that or Lat Dips!

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 24 2007,22:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I keep returning to the original one: a barbell.
laugh.gif
</div>
I agree...barbell would be much more effective than machine.

Semantics , semantics... I've always thought of a lat shrug in the conventional sense where one shrugs DOWN a lat bar with no arm bending - the reverse pretty much of a trap shrug - If I had invented them I would have called them &quot;Russ' gaytastic lat dip&quot; just to make sure no one was confused!
tounge.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Oct. 25 2007,08:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Further in the thread he is confronted by someone claiming to be Paul Kelso who rather politely claims &quot;ownership&quot; of the name so the term Lat flyes is proposed...</div>
So maybe we should call them &quot;Lat Paulies&quot;...?
smile.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 24 2007,22:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I keep returning to the original one: a barbell.
laugh.gif
</div>
Yeah QD, I've done those too.

Only problem with pullovers with a barbell is it suffers at the lower end (resistance starts tapering off at the contracted position).

But it does produce a better stretch.

Russ,
Funny, I sometimes kind of stretch out my lower back with my arms in that position. I've even wondered if it would be effective for lats, but never tried it.

I usually use free weights, but that movement almost cries out for a machine able to handle that unique positioning of the arms.

Thank you all for the comments!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Only problem with pullovers with a barbell is it suffers at the lower end (resistance starts tapering off at the contracted position). </div>
Then you can use a pulldown station with a cable and bar. Still better than a machine, but really, when I try that I lift myself off the ground, so I find them uncomfortable what with all that trying to stay in place!

If you're not going to use the MedX pullover machine please send it to me. One of the weightrooms (
smile.gif
) at Clemson U. had a MedX pullover and I miss it dearly. My only wish for MedX is to increase the total weight available on the stack or decrease the mechanical advantage. It did not take all that long to max out 290 lbs or so on each side. I'd like to think I'm strong enough to pullover 580 lbs, but really MedX. Come on.

Barbell pullovers do not allow you to go over your bodyweight. You also have to use your triceps to hang on to it and your pecs/delts to support it. Moreover, you have only 90 degrees of rotation, and, unlike the BB row, the BB pullover features a torque-curve that decreases as CSA increases. The barbell is indeed a glorious school for the body, but I am an exacting bastard and cannot in good conscious agree to this lift.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Further in the thread he is confronted by someone claiming to be Paul Kelso who rather politely claims &quot;ownership&quot; of the name so the term Lat flyes is proposed and blah , blah </div>

Oh

my

god.

He's doing humeral adduction with slight transverse adduction and possibly internal rotation through a limited range of motion.

I would call this lift: &quot;I wish I had a cable pulley.&quot;

&quot;Wend 10/29/07. Back day.
Pullover 3 x 10. Good.
WG Chin 2 x 5. Good.
IWIHACP 1 x 5. Good. Get cable pulley tommorrow.&quot;

As far as the lats losing involvement as the bar passes over your head thing...

Know that pullovers are pure humeral (or shoulder) extension and that the only muscles that can assist you as you sit defenselessly belted into the MedX Turbo Pullover 5000 are:

The lats.
The sternal head of the pec major
and the posterior delts.

Teres major and triceps long head help out a little.

The sternal head is best at humeral extension when your shoulder is internally rotated. The MedX I used had you slightly rotate your arm outward, which felt a little dangerous when I was at the top of the movement with my arms up in the air. If you have a strong chest test yourself and do some flyes or presses before attempting a work set on the MedX again. For my lats in those days I did a superset of pullovers straight to supinated grip pulldowns. The obvious principle at work is pre exhaustion as your lats are probably stronger than your biceps (I know mine are) and you want to fail with your lats on pulldowns, not with biceps. If I had a pullover machine again I would superset it with WGA pulldowns/chins, as the supinated grip pulldown is the exact same movement as pullovers as far as the lats are concerned. Only the torque curve changes and I am sort of into the multiple angle thing right now.

Back