Men's Health Magazine

FireFighter

Just in case anyone would like to do some reading, Men's Health has an article in there May issue named Inside the Muscle Laboratories on page 144.

The writer talks about a guy who has pretty much came to the same conclusions that Bryan has given us.

Check it out if you'd like something decent to read.

I spoke to soon. This is from their "Expert Answers" section:

delichani: What are your thoughts on HST?

Mejia: I know a lot of people like it and Bryan Haycock is an absolutely brilliant guy. Personally, I didn't like it at all and didn't gain much from trying it. I do know some who got good results and others who shared my views.

MH - Expert Answers (bottom of page)

Didnt gain much? Couldnt have been doing right then. How can someone NOT gain from HST but gain from another regime? Baffling.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How can someone NOT gain from HST but gain from another regime?</div>
Because they eat the same and do less work so they gain fat!
biggrin.gif

I was thinking just that. But the guy who answered the question also compiles some of MH's routines and stuff. I was thinking it might be more a case where he doesnt want to change his thinking.

I read something way back which talked about alot of trainers etc not willing to take on new developments in fitness as it would mean changing their advice and maybe admitting they might be wrong in some thing and therefore just blinding rejecting ideas.

Yeh this is a big point
biggrin.gif
. Even after doing lots of reading and stuff, its very hard to change peoples ingrained beliefs. Even thought HST principles are sweet and more effective and rational than conventional splits, intensity techniques etc. People in general dont like their mistakes corrected! You have to suggest HST in a very considerate way and not just be like 'yeh well thats untrue'. If you look at Bryans writing its writtten in a suggestive rather than corrective way.

Eventually the dogmas will be corrected
biggrin.gif

I didnt like that guys advice either to frequently change reps, sets, weight, exercises etc because your body 'adapts to whatever programme you do'. This sounds like 'I have a lot of experience with different programmes but need to constantly change my routines as they dont work for very long because I dont have a good understanding of why they work.'

Yeh my body adapts to my training, when I do it adapts by getting bigger. Yeh I need to to break, when I cant do more weight and Ill come back motivated and do it all again and love it. yeh ill change the weight, itll get bigger every single time I workout! Ill keep the rep scheme the same every time because I just love to keep that TUL constant.

Phew
biggrin.gif

I actually think differently than some of you guys on this.

Now I agree that I can't believe the trainer did not make gains on HST.

And let me start this thread off by saying I think HST is the best way to go! Period.

However there is more than one way to skin a cat...and I mean an effective way.

I think even Bryan would agree.

The beauty behind HST that I have learned is that Full body routines are the way to go...that with increased frequency. However HST is awesome b/c Bryan puts a simple yet highly effective routine into play for the masses. I think key word being simple.

Most people just want to be told what to do. I think some of these other trainers have phenomenal routines ! They are just not as user friendly for the individual especially a new lifter.

So would I say HST is the best routine...yes I would however...there are some routines out there that are great too. Take a look over at Dans site...I really like his routine set up.

And I personally like a lot of Chad Waterburys routines as well as Alwyn Cosgrove.

I myself normally stick to the gravy train of HST...b/c it is just sound and proven....however If I had more time to manage every detail I would try some other tips...as a matter of fact look at the TUT thread and you will see what I am currently doing inside HST principals.

Just my 2 cents !
biggrin.gif

I noticed the article in Men's health also. The only thing missing is the load/rep scheme and SD. The research behind how a muscle grows was identical though. I liked the one saying though from the article:

&quot;Oh BTW, that work out you are doing, it's pretty dumb&quot;

Keystone

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Take a look over at Dans site...I really like his routine set up.</div>

Yeh def, but Dans routine is based on science, not tradition.

This is true...and I prefer science all day...however there is are times in life were science doesn't always show everything just yet.

Not to take away from the science b/c I hold Dan as well as bryan on a pedastoil...I have tons of repect for both!!!

But science isn't always exact.

For example most doctors will tell you SSRI's or anti depressants have no weight gain as side effects...look at the placebo effects and the studies and the studies show zero weight gain...however everyone I know who has been on them gains tons of weight?

Just one example...my cousin is a pharmacist..hence he know more than doctors about the drugs...and he says this is very true!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would dare say 95% of people who dont make gains training are due to nutrition.

including myself!</div>

I would have to agree with Joe here. Nutrition is key to gaining weight but somehow people tend to forget about it.

Including myself!

Happy weight lifting, guys, and don't forget to eat.

Back