Merging together last 4 weeks

HST_Rihad

This idea has got me thinking today. Unchanged, a HST cycle looks like this:
15 reps for 2 weeks
10 reps for 2 weeks
5 reps for 2 weeks
5 reps for 2 weeks (continue 5RMs or do negatives)

What if we take the last 4 weeks and merge them into one unbreakable time period for the 5's, with weight increases set up accordingly? During this time frame the average tonnage will drop (as compared to the original outline), but the new environment might make it easier for the body to make progress. After all, isn't this what HST is all about? Suggestions are welcome.

This idea has got me thinking today. Unchanged, a HST cycle looks like this:
15 reps for 2 weeks
10 reps for 2 weeks
5 reps for 2 weeks
5 reps for 2 weeks (continue 5RMs or do negatives)

What if we take the last 4 weeks and merge them into one unbreakable time period for the 5's, with weight increases set up accordingly? During this time frame the average tonnage will drop (as compared to the original outline), but the new environment might make it easier for the body to make progress. After all, isn't this what HST is all about? Suggestions are welcome.

I'm not sure I understand this proposal. Are you saying do 1 week of 5s and 1 week of negatives after the 10s?

No, 4 weeks! So instead of something like
2 weeks: 75, 80, 85, 90%, 95, 100%
2 weeks: 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100%
we do this:
4 weeks: 75, 77.5, 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 90, 92.5, 95, 97.5, 100%

No, 4 weeks! So instead of something like
2 weeks: 75, 80, 85, 90%, 95, 100%
2 weeks: 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100%
we do this:
4 weeks: 75, 77.5, 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 90, 92.5, 95, 97.5, 100%

Oh, I see now. I'm sure this is a viable option - but there are only 11 increments of 2.5% presented. Would the 12th workout of 5s be a repeat? Or for testing new 5 RMs?

I'm not sure that it would be as effective as doing 2 weeks of 5s and then 2 final weeks of a lower rep scheme. Reason being that you could lift heavier loads in a series of 2 or 3 reps than 5s. Heavier weight is better for strength gains. And I'm not so sure that such small incremental increases would be as good or better than increments of 5% or greater.

Oh, I see now. I'm sure this is a viable option - but there are only 11 increments of 2.5% presented. Would the 12th workout of 5s be a repeat? Or for testing new 5 RMs?
I had hoped no one would notice ;) I'd say repeating the 100% weight is consistent with what this routine originated from.
Not only that. The weight increments could be evenly laid out to be 3 weeks long, with 100% weights repeated on the 4th week, just as usual.

I'm not sure that it would be as effective as doing 2 weeks of 5s and then 2 final weeks of a lower rep scheme. Reason being that you could lift heavier loads in a series of 2 or 3 reps than 5s. Heavier weight is better for strength gains. And I'm not so sure that such small incremental increases would be as good or better than increments of 5% or greater.
Suit yourself, I've never gone below 5's myself (except 4's when feeling tired). AFAIK small weight increments are good for gaining strength, but don't cross out their role in muscle building just yet.

I've drawn out the 5s before, but instead of doing what you showed, I just repeated each weight a workout, then stayed with my 5 RMs for two weeks, which brought the 5s out to six weeks total.

It works pretty well as long as you don't get bored. Maybe you should try your idea out next cycle.

I normally have plenty of DOMS when doing 15's and 10's, practically every single post-workout day, most notably in my pecs due to bench pressing 1-2 sets and my traps due to holding the weights used in SLDL and seated rows/pull-ups. But I usually have barely noticeable or nonexistent DOMS when doing 5's. Is this because I'm doing something wrong? Just progressively increasing the load, albeit in smaller increments and repeating the weights when need be. I just can't make the increments any larger because there's as little as 10 kg (22 lbs) difference between my 10RM and 5RM bench press, and the smallest increment I can currently use is around 2-3 kg or 4.5-6.5 lbs (it alternates).

I only get sore for a few weeks after a layoff or after doing a maximal attempt or going to failure. Like TR said, it's not terribly important. The fact that it goes away as you get into the 5s suggests that perhaps it might be do to the deconditioning effect or perhaps due to fatigue from doing more reps.

Back