Mixing HST and Holistic Training?

Anti-Hero

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen5.htm

Hey guys. Currently I'm on my first cycle of a basic HST split, and am at the end of my 10's routine and I like it a lot.

However, I read that link posted at the top where he talks about people training for high reps for endurance, medium reps for hypertrophy and low reps for strength at different times has faults because while you're working one range of reps the gains you got from the previous ranges of reps are getting smaller/weaker.

So he suggests doing all 3 in one exercise, 3 different sets. Doing 3 RM, 8 RM, then 20 RM to recruit the most muscle fibers for the best hypertrophy. So I was wondering how come HST doesn't involve this, or like why people aren't progressively loading doing lets say your Day 1 weight for 5's, then Day 1 weight for 10's, then Day 1 weight for 15's? Instead of just doing one rep range?

Thanks.

i don't trust that site's articles at all
laugh.gif

How are you going to progessively load in that situation?

The basic reason for doing 15's, 10's and 5's in HST is so you can continually increase the weight. The continual increase of weight is the big factor in causing hypertrophy, not so much the rep range.

If you did it the way you described, I think you wouldn't actually be loading progessively in an efficient manner, compared to how HST prescribes it. RBE will likely hit you a lot sooner, since you'll reach your 5 RM much sooner.

Based on a person's goals (which I assume are hypertrophy if doing HST), you train accordingly. Once I am out of the 15 rep range, I don't care if I lose the endurance I built up during that phase of training because it is not imperative that I keep it. What is imperative is that I am progressing my load every few workouts at the least. In order for that to happen, I have to do less reps eventually, and as has been mentioned, this will help me stay a step (even if it's a baby one) ahead of RBE.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 07 2005,11:16)]i don't trust that site's articles at all  
laugh.gif
I trust some but this one is bunk.

First it is not necessary to exhaust the fiber to get it to grow. Second, since we have already contradicted 1, then why would it be necessary to worry about using diferent rep ranges to exhaust the differing types.

There is nothing "hollistic" about it. He's just regurgitating the training for fiber type myth, in another way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ April 08 2005,8:49)]The continual increase of weight is the big factor in causing hypertrophy, not so much the rep range.

RBE will likely hit you a lot sooner, since you'll reach your 5 RM much sooner.
And just to add to what Totentanz and "Da Biz-ness" has said, it would also be fruitless, when speaking of hypertrophy, to use a 3RM followed by your 8RM since the maxmimum tension will be elicited during the 3RM. But following your 3RM with a 15RM has advantages because of the metabolic input, not because of fiber type differences.

Back