multiple sets on 10s and 5s

HappyScrappy

I have been doing 1 set for my 15s over the past two weeks, and the last one is tonight. In my 5th workout, I noticed that I was starting to feel pretty drained by the end of the workout, so I suspect that tonight will be a tough one (but that is to be expected).

My question is, if I feel like this during the second week of 15s, how do you guys do 2 sets during the 10s? and 3 during the 5s? I would think that during the first week of each minicycle it wouldn't be too bad, but during the second one, or towards the end of the second one it would be just brutal.

It just seems like a lot of volume. Right now my workout takes me about 40 minutes (12 exersizes), I worried that increasing the volume will have me in there for well over an hour.

I dieting right now with restricted calories and daily cardio, so that is probably contributing to my fatigue somewhat.

PUT YOUR ROUTINE UP MAYBE YOU CAN DROP SOME EXERCISES IN THE 10S AND 5S
cool.gif

<div>
(faz @ Jun. 15 2006,11:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">PUT YOUR ROUTINE UP MAYBE YOU CAN DROP SOME EXERCISES IN THE 10S AND 5S
cool.gif
</div>
Squats
Stiff leg deadlifts

Incline dumbell press
Bent over rows

Dips
Wide grip pulldowns

Dumbell shoulder press
Upright rows

Close grip bench
Straight bar curls

Shrugs
Seated calf raises

I do a variety of ab work depending on how my workout goes.

uprightrows
shrugs
could go.. deadlifts for traps and BOR for rear delts
or you could drop the isos for bis and tris
biggrin.gif

Unless you really want to do them, drop the upright rows once you get to 10s. I was bulking for my first three cycles when I did 11 exercises each session so I would have had greater energy reserves. It was still hard. During 5s it would sometimes take over an hour to get it all done.

What made the biggest difference was my increase in strength over the three cycles. Initially, it was manageable but once the poundages had climbed a fair bit it all got too much by the 5s. So you may find the volume OK for a cycle or two but then you may want to reduce the number of exercises per session and start to alternate exercises too.

I am currently doing 7 exercises each w/o and alternating deads and squats, bench and dips, rows and chins. It makes for a very pleasant w/o and the gains are still coming.
cool.gif

I thought 12 was unnecessary, and upright rows have been chronicled as a VERY bad exersize due to many people damaging the rotator cuffs with them. Close to that, I like to do full ROM laterals, with the dumbells starting in the lap and raising them slightly forward of the body, rather than in line with the ears. You can do more weight and not torch the shoulders.

Back