My 2. HST

theczech

Hey there

I am going to start my 2. HST cycle, after my 15 days SD. My first routine was the traditional 15-10-5 program but in my second, i have thought of doing it a little different.

This is my plan :

Exercises:

Frontsquat/Deadlift
Flat Barbel Benchpress
Military press
Lateral raise
Yates Row
DB Row
DB Curl
Hyperextended crunch

(% of 5RM)
Week 1: - 1 set
Monday : 75% - 3 reps from failure
Wednesday : 75% - 1 rep from failure
Friday : 80% - 3 reps from failure
Week 2: - 2 sets
Monday : 80% - 1 from failure
Wednesday : 85% - 3 from failure
Friday : 85% - 1 from failure
Week 3 : - 2 sets
Monday : 90% - 3 from failure
Wednesday : 90% - 2 from failure
Friday : 90% - 1 from failure
Week 4: - 3 sets
Monday : 90% - 3 reps from failure
Wednesday : 90% - 2 rep from failure
Friday : 90% - 1 reps from failure
Week 5: - 3 sets
Monday : 95% - 2 from failure
Wednesday : 95% - 2 from failure
Friday : 95% - 2 from failure
Week 6 : - 4 sets
Monday : 100% - 2 from failure
Wednesday : 100% - 2 from failure
Friday : 100% - 2 from failure
Week 7 : - 4 sets
Monday : 102,5% - 2 from failure
Wednesday : 102,5% - 2 from failure
Friday : 102,5% - 2 from failure
Week 8 : - 4 sets
Monday : 105%
Wednesday : 105%
Friday : 105%

Well, what do you think about it ?

Pretty technical.
biggrin.gif

Just a question, the %'s are for each rep scheme, right? Or as % of 1 RM?

If so you hovering close to failure watch out for burnout.

If not then you only hitting 100% when yo get to 5's and then again if you hitting 100% already then you will be over doing it.

Although I somewhat understand the concept, I'd like to see a little more explaining just so I get what you mean exactly!

I am sorry about the short explanation ( it is because of my lacking english abilities)

O & G :

Well, 2 or 3 reps from failure is not the decisive part of the program. My intention was, to do 1 or 2 more reps than i did last time with the same intensity. In this way i will first have several equal trainings in the low rep weeks. I like to have variation in my training.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 19 2006,16:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome aboard...My wife is Czech, from Brno. We live in the U.S. now.</div>
Cool &amp; thanks
smile.gif

I only lived in czech republic until i turned 6. Now i live in Denmark.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cool &amp; thanks
smile.gif

I only lived in czech republic until i turned 6. Now i live in Denmark.</div>

Welcome to HST, you seem really excited about HST. That type of passion followed by the correct diet is the formula for success.

Thanks a lot Colby.

And yes i really am pretty excited about the HST system, and i believe that my diet is going pretty well. I hope it will make me big and evil some day
laugh.gif

My passion for HST was also what made me try the official HST page instead of sticking to danish trainingsites.

For how long should i stick with the same intensity in the end of the cycle, when i cannot increase the intensity anymore ?

If i, for an example reach 105% of my 5RM, and cannot increase anymore, how many weeks should i then stick to 105% of my 5MR, before i deconditionate.?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If i, for an example reach 105% of my 5RM, and cannot increase anymore, how many weeks should i then stick to 105% of my 5MR, before i deconditionate.?</div>

There are a few options here. You can stick with your 5RM for two weeks, finish the week with which you are in, or go into negatives.

Okey, thanks for that.

I think i will stick with my 5RM for 2 weeks then. It will be a problem to do the negatives in many exercises.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And yes i really am pretty excited about the HST system, and i believe that my diet is going pretty well.</div>

Good, so why not follow the routine as is?

I for one prefer to work on %'s of 1 RM right through, O &amp; G has a definite point when he say how do you know you 2 3 or 1 rep short of failure?
biggrin.gif

To us HST'ers failure is determine by the following:

1 - Failure to keep rep tempo as it should be, or increased slowing of rep tempo.

2 - Failure to keep form, so starting to squirm or cheat is reason to stop as it is considered failure.

3 - HST failure is never total muscle failure as in HIT!

1 and 2 are only supposed to be achieved on the last day of each two week minicycles.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I hope it will make me big and evil some day</div>

And it might, watch out you may just turn in to the incredible hulk
laugh.gif

Joke above - you will only get as big as your genetics allow without drugs. But big you will get that is for sure!
wink.gif

Ok, my suggestion is:

15's - 2 week build up to 70 % of 1 RM
10's - 2 week build up to 85 % of 1 RM
05's - 2 week build up to 95 % of 1 RM
negs - 2 week build up to 110 - 120 % of 1 RM or go to 100% by using cluster training or max stimulation technniques, but stay in your 5's without using negatives.

Hope this helps a litttle
wink.gif

Great answer Fausto
blush.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good, so why not follow the routine as is?
</div>

Only to get some more variation i my training. I find it a little boring to do 15 reps 2 weeks in a row. And as far as i have understood, the 15-10-5 system was only chosen to simplify HST, and not necessarily the optimal solution ?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I for one prefer to work on %'s of 1 RM right through</div>

What is the advantage of working on %'s of 1 RM instead of 5RM ?
I only choose to work with my 5RM's, bacause i found it easy.

I like your suggestion, but what about the exercises where i cant do the negatives. Squat for example. When i am already at 95% of my 1RM, it will be pretty difficult to increase the intensity for 2 more weeks. Should i then just pick another cycle, for the exercises i cant do the negatives in ?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And it might, watch out you may just turn in to the incredible hulk </div>

I knew HST could make be big, but i did not knew i also made me green
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

if you cant do negs carry on with 5s untill you feel that you are not getting anymore benefit.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Faz beat me to it.

Negatives, do on the exercises that you can, squats is a odd one I agree, but if you have a partner it can be done with some practice.

Many of them require a partner to do negatives but don't sweat it, just push your fives as far as you can.

You like variety
biggrin.gif
after 5's step into 5 x 5's they're great, just don't injure yourself...once your joints start warning you it iis time to SD
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">SD is tough</div>

laugh.gif
You'll get used to it, it is not so bad considering the benefits afterwards. It is worth every bit.
cool.gif
wink.gif

Back