My first HST Routine/Cycle

Re your other thread (same one, different location). I don't alternate anything when doing HST. Some do though.

I do squat and SLDL on the same day. Rows and pulldowns too.

Do you do flat or incline press along with dips?

I find it hard doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. I prefer not to do SLDL and do leg curls instead. Will alternating days of squat and deadlift still have a positive impact?

I based my routine on this six day routine:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_notes.html

I did the following today:

Squat
leg curl
Bench Press (slight incline)
Pull downs
Military press
Shrugs
Bicep Cable curls
Cable Tri ext
Calf Raises
abs

on Wednesday I plan to do the following, unless I'm heading in the wrong direction:

Deadlift
Leg Curl
Decline Bench Press (in place of dips)
Rows
Military press
Shrugs
Bicep Cable curls
Cable Tri ext
Calf Raises
abs

on Friday I'd do what I did today, next Monday I'd do what I'm doing this Wednesday.

Should I simplify it more than that?

Thanks again.

Replace the leg curls from the first day with SLDL, do what you did today with this one exception the entire cycle...and you have an excellent, simple HST plan.

Maybe toss in some rows too if you wish.

That's what I'd do. I like to keep it simple.

If I were designing the perfect HST training cycle for me it would be:
Squat
SLDL or CDL
Bench
Row
Pullups
Overhead press
Cable crunch
---------------

I might do curls and skull crushers for the 15's and 10's, then again, I might not.

Again, this is just how I'd do it because I like to keep things simple, straightforward, and I don't want to be spending 4 hours a day in the gym like I did last summer.

Others may do things differently.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and keep the curls and extensions in as my arms don't tend to grow very well with out me hitting them directly.

What are CDL's? As far as deadlifts and squats go, I alternate them most of the time.

This cycle, I alternate Deadlifts and Leg Extensions with Squats and Hyperextensions along with my base routine.

I'm just concerned that doing both in the same day may be too much for me.

does it matter if I do SLDL or stick with conventional deadlifts?

If it does, how do you do SLDL properly?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Feb. 05 2007,21:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are CDL's? As far as deadlifts and squats go, I alternate them most of the time.

This cycle, I alternate Deadlifts and Leg Extensions with Squats and Hyperextensions along with my base routine.</div>
what are hyperextensions?

dr_janitor

Conventional Deadlifts is a more profound compound that SLDL's which mainly hits the hamstrings and lower back.

BarBell Hyperextension

Hyperextensions are for the lower back - you stand on an appropriate hyperextension bench facing down

I would say if training for size, stick with the SLDL specifically for the glutes/hams/low back. If you are training for more strength specific goals, then use the conventional deadlift. Mainly for the reason stated by Fausto. I would word it differently though. I would say it's THE compound lift.

Personally, if I try mixing them up in the same workout cycle it doesn't work very well for me. When doing HST, I stick with the SLDL, when doing something else I do CDL. Of course I do have amazingly small hamstrings so I may be getting it wrong.
sad.gif

Back