My first HST workout day

Taank

Well, today I did my first day of my first cycle. I had the intention of doing 2 sets of 15's. After doing squats, bench, and military press I threw up. First time i ever threw up during a workout and I have been at it for coming up on 2 years now. Very interesting. I am assuming this has to do with lactic acid? Which I read is kind of the point of the 15's....so I'm viewing my little trashcan episode as a good thing.

you'll be happy to know I immediately felt better and finished my routine.

I may switch to 1x15 for squats and deads..im pretty sure i can handle 2x15 everything else. I'll see how it goes.

You could have ate too much before the WO, and you have may not been used to the fullbody scheme that HST principals employ.

Anywho, keep eating and lifting!

Yeah, thhis sounds familiar, the build up of lactate specially after 2 sets of 15 in deads, has made many "hit the trashcan!"

Not unusual, you'll be better off dropping down to 1 set of those biggies and will be just fine!
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am assuming this has to do with lactic acid?</div>
You are right. This is a quite common symptom during the first days of the 15's, especially if you are not used to working in this rep range and full body workouts. I agree with Fausto, take it easy now that you 're getting started with HST, go with 1 set if you feel 2 is too much for you. A lot of people here use the 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 scheme to keep the number of reps relatively constant throughout the cycle. You can opt for this or do as the FAQ says (2 sets during the first week, 1 set during the second). Adjust your rest periods if you need to. You 'll get used to it in no time at all.

Good luck with your training,
Dimitris

I felt pretty pukey the first time I did 15s even with 1 set per exercise. Now I can handle 2 sets and don't feel too bad afterwards. They are tough though, especially the 15RM w/o. You are going to love that one! Keep a bucket handy.
biggrin.gif

I try to ensure I haven't eaten anything for a two hour period prior to 15s. That helps a lot. A protein drink 20 minutes before seems to be OK.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A protein drink 20 minutes before seems to be OK.
</div>

And necessary for protein synthesis if I may add. Followed by another one within 1/2 of the training session, to take advantage of the exercise induced increased protein syntesis.

You should read pre/post workout nutrition over at the main page.

pre/post workout nutrition

That is why I stopped doing 2x15. Not only is it overkill but it is extremely tiresome. I used to get nauseaus a lot too.

ok. I'm glad it's pretty common. As fausto said, I think I'm gonna try to just do 1 set of the big movements. I feel like 2 sets of my other exercises I can handle. I'll try it that way, and if I still feel nausea I will then feel confident in doing everything 1x only.

I usually just eat 1hr+ prior to workout, then drink a protein drink (Myoplex Ready-to-drink) after. I will start taking another myoplex prior to the workout also, see how that goes.The drink is 42g protein, 18 carbs, 7 fat. I know this isnt enough PWO carbs....i usually try to down some gatorade also to get some carbs. *shrug*

Oh one other thing, I also felt a tingling sensation in my biceps when doing curls. I remember feeling this back in the day but gotta say I havnt felt it in years. Is this a lactic acid effect also?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I usually just eat 1hr+ prior to workout, then drink a protein drink (Myoplex Ready-to-drink) after.</div>

Looks like that could be the problem, skip the food and just have the protein, eat afterwards, say 1/2 to 1 hour after finishing training and having an immediate protein shake!

Back