My first time doing HST - do these excercises make sense?

feemqa

Alright, so after reading a good amount of articles and other people's logs, I think I've come up with a solid workout routine:

A.
Squat
Bench Press
DB Row
Leg Curl
Bench Dip
Military Press
Russian Twist (for Abs)
Calf Raise
Wrist Curls (forearms)

B.
Deadlift
Incline Bench
Pullup
Leg Extension
Seated Tricep Press
DB Shoulder Press
Knee Raises (Abs)
Calf Press (on Leg Press Machine)
Wrist Curls

Thoughts? I'm going to determine my 15 rep max for each of these over the next couple days

Looks really good. I don't bother with forearm work myself but knock yourself out. You are going to do all exercises including the ab exercises with progressive increase of the load?

Looks like a nice selection of exercises. Another thing you might consider is that if when things start getting heavy your workouts start taking too much time you could drop the forearm and abs work to save some time.

Also, I’m not sure if you listed the exercises in the order you plan to do them, looks like you may have, I would consider doing the Military Presses and DB Shoulder Presses before the Bench Dips and Seated Triceps Press respectively. Also consider inserting one of the later exercises for a different muscle group in between them like you have them listed in the earlier parts of your lists.

I would only make a couple minor changes to the order you listed them.

A.
Squat
Bench Press
DB Row
Military Press
Leg Curl
Bench Dip
Calf Raise
Russian Twist (for Abs)
Wrist Curls (forearms)

B.
Deadlift
Incline Bench
Pullup
Leg Extension
DB Shoulder Press
Seated Tricep Press
Knee Raises (Abs)
Wrist Curls

Some people like to put things like Dead Lifts or even Squats last because they are tiring and feel they compromise their other exercises. Others, myself included, prefer to put them at the beginning when the strongest. It’s more or less a matter of personal preference.

As a general rule, when selecting the order of exercises, it’s good to put the most complex compound movements first and work your way to the less complex isolation movements and abs. The idea is not to compromise a compound exercise by tiring out a synergistic or stabilizing muscles before doing the compound exercise. That’s why I suggested putting your Triceps isolations after the other pushing movements. Also, the Abs stabilize all exercises to some extent so I would put them last or close to last. Similarly, Forearms get worked by just gripping the bar I would also put those near last. Actually many people don’t do specific Abs or Forearm exercises simply because they get enough work doing the other exercises especially when things get heavy. So having them last in your routine makes it easier to drop them without disrupting the rest of your routine.

Another good idea to help get the most out of each exercise is to alternate muscle groups. In other words don’t do 2 pushing movements back-to-back.

Finally, if you have a specific body part you want to focus on you can move it ahead of other exercises so it gets worked when you are strongest. So for example say you wanted to focus more on shoulders than on chest you could move your shoulder exercises ahead of your chest exercises.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done abs before doing squats/bench before and it was terrible.

Pull-ups are tough for me, and since that's more of a complex movement, I think I'll move that up. Then, in order to avoid doing two pull exercises, I'll follow with Incline Bench, and then Deadlift

B.
Pullup
Incline Bench
Deadlift
Leg Extension
DB Shoulder Press
Seated Tricep Press
Knee Raises (Abs)
Wrist Curls

Actually Dead Lift is a far more complex movement than Pull-ups. It involves more muscles and a much greater chance of injury if not done properly.

A small thing to consider is doing Leg Extension right after Deadlift. May not be an issue but the Quads do get worked pretty good when Deadlifting especially if you use Sumo Deadlifts so you might consider not doing them back-to-back.

Hi, folks! I've just bought the ebook by Charles T. Ridgely, "Setting up a Hypertrophy-Specific Training Cycle". I've been reading throught & I wonder if my routine has 10 exercises(5 compounds-5 isolations)how long is going to be a workout lenght?
The confusion is the volume. he says for example, 1 set on the 15s, 2 sets on the 10s & 3 sets on the 5s. You know what I mean. How long lasts a workout of 10s & 5's? 20 sets, 30 sets, plus the rest times,when he says that a workout shouldn't last longer than 45-60 minutes! If I can get some guidance about this I would appreciate. Thanks

Back