my HST experience

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_dans4173
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_dans4173

Just wanted to give you guys that have been struggling with plateaus some hope.

I did my first cycle of HST somewhat conditioned, if not totally conditioned. I gained 6-8 good pounds. After a 9 day SD, my second cycle resulted in no gain and no loss of weight, and I could tell I was overworking my body.

Couldnt figure out what was missing since I was following all HST principles.

Then I gave myself a proper 14 day SD. Lost no weight during the SD and since starting my 3rd cycle, I have imediately put on 3 pounds (after week one). It feels like Im growing again.

It just goes to show that you can beat yourself up about being strict about all of the principles, but the foundation of your gains comes from a long enough SD.

Next cycle I feel that I could benefit from a 16 day SD.

Also, read up on the warning signs of being overtrained. This helped me in knowing when I really needed to take a break.

Hope it helps!

Weight gain or weight loss is a function of diet. If you made no gains, then you weren't eating enough.

Good point. I was doing 9 days between cycles with little effect. Before New Year's I took 14 days off for the holidays and ever since I am growing like mad again. I like doing LOONNG cycles and LONG SDs.
smile.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 27 2007,16:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Weight gain or weight loss is a function of diet.  If you made no gains, then you weren't eating enough.</div>
Totentanz. So all someone has to do is eat. Ill skip the training and rest next cycle.

dans4173, the point is that weight gain or loss means nothing without some measure of what kind of weight it was. Roseanne Barr gained a lot of weight but I'm not going to follow either her workout program or her diet.
tounge.gif

As Tot said, gain or loss of weight is strictly a function of diet versus calorie requirements. What your workouts do is try to help skew the partitioning of the weight that you gain toward muscle, not fat.

Perhaps you're right about the SD, but the information in your post does not provide sufficient evidence of that. Good luck with the rest of this cycle, sounds like you're back on track.

I think he's absolutely correct. As I've said before, my first cycle failed miserably because I didn't SD and was pretty strong. Submax weights need SD to do any good. For me, 14 days has been enough, but I don't know after this strength cycle I'm on; could take 16!

Good point Dans
I made the same experiences as you did.you can really feel after a few workout if your SD was long enough or not..

keep on gaining

Back