My HST Program (first cycle)

kidkurious

After doing about 11 weeks of Bill Starr's 5x5, I've decided to focus more in size now (thus, starting on HST).

This is what I have planned for my first cycle:
Here is my training log with the list of exercises I will be using: HST Log (not complete yet)

Is this a good exercise selection?

the thing is though, I can only do about 10 reps of chins/pull-ups and dips with my bodyweight. Do I simply do my max for these exercises? I'm thinking about clustering the sets to avoid going to failure.

In the HST training log i setup, I've only filled in the 15's.
The 10's are estimated based on my 15RM tests.
The 5's are based on my 5x5 PR's from last week.

I've made 11 lbs increments for Front Squat and Deadlift.
Everything else is given 5.5 lbs increments.

When u look at the Overhead Press, my first week has me lifting 5lbs, which makes me wanna LOL. Perhaps I should make smaller increments, with the first week starting at 10lbs? I may have been over-fatigued from testing my bench RM.

Maybe I should test the lifts again? aaaaahhhhh!

I didn't expect the difference between 15 and 5RMs to be so huge.
Do these seem like accurate ratios?

I'm sure my 5RMs should be much lower by now, considering it has been 1 week since I attempted any new PR's.

I'm going to test out my 10RM's on Friday. I will subtract 10-15 lbs from my previous 5RM's, just to be safe.

In the HST FAQ, it gives me the following calculations to determine my 10RM and 5RM based on my 15RM:

10RM = 15RM + 20%
5RM = 10RM + 15%

Should I use the above formulas? or should I actually test my 10RM and 5RM?

Any suggestions?

I realize this is a lot for a first post, but I'm really anxious to succeed in this program. I've read the entire FAQ pdf file as well as the website description and some articles on bb.com, and I'm still trying to fully grasp the concepts.

Thanks!

you have
squat
bench
row
overhead-press
deadlift
pullup
chinup
dip
ezbar-curl
shrug
drop the ezbar-curl,drop shrugs deads cover that,do either chin or pullup not both alternate squats and deads on different  days so it should look like this
squat alternated with deadlifts
bench
row
overhead-press
chinup
dips
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the thing is though, I can only do about 10 reps of chins/pull-ups and dips with my bodyweight. Do I simply do my max for these exercises? I'm thinking about clustering the sets to avoid going to failure</div>
clustering is ok.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When u look at the Overhead Press, my first week has me lifting 5lbs, which makes me wanna LOL. Perhaps I should make smaller increments, with the first week starting at 10lbs? I may have been over-fatigued from testing my bench RM.</div>
you dont have to start so low instead of this
do this

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In the HST FAQ, it gives me the following calculations to determine my 10RM and 5RM based on my 15RM:</div>
there should be a rep max calculator on the site.

good luck
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

you could alternate chins with pullups but why not save one for your next cycle,to change things a bit.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I punched in my numbers, and my 15RM ended up over 30 lbs than what I did when I actually tested it.... aaahhh whhyy?? lol</div>
did you put in your 5rm and work from that.

i forgot to add,if you have been doing 5s for a long time doing a set of 15 can be harder than you think,so maybe you need to test your 15rm.

Back