My HST Routine

Mr. G

I did my first HST cycle about four months ago and had great results with the basic program (3 days a week) but felt I missed out on some of the nutrient partitioning effects of a four to five day program. I never go to failure and seem to recover well. I am 165lbs and hitting between 2900-3300 kcals per day. Mostly clean foods but a bit lower on carbs (particularly complex carbs: oats, grains, and such) as they make me feel bad and give me gastric distress. Sweet potatoes and rice don't seem too bad though. I generally go low -mod low carbs (with fruit) up untill workout and then hit pre and post hard (glucose, whey, cereal, etc...) generally getting in about 250-400g carbs/ day.
Yhanks for the input.
G-

My current program is :

Squat x 1
SL Dead x 1-2
Barbell Bench x 1
Bent Over BB Row x 1-2
Leg Extend x 1
Leg Curl x 1
Chins x 1-2
Incline DB Press x 1
Shrug x 1-2
Dips x 1
Calves & rear delt x 2
Curls & Tri press & Ab's x 1

obviously these are #'s of sets
I am planning on four days a week. Anyone have any suggestions. O'h and I kickbox 1-2 days a week (usually one as of late). It looks to me like a bit too much on back and chest but I am rarely sore (mostly just tight).

That would be way too much for me. I would cut the SLD, leg curls and extensions out, squats are sufficient. I would also alternate the bench and rows with dips and chins so I don't do them in the same workout.

Squat x 2

Bent Over BB Row x 1-2

Leg Curl x 1
Chins x 1-2
Incline DB Press x 1-2
Shrug x 1-2
Dips x 1-2
Calves & rear delt x 2

try it like this :D

Mr. G

Your diet seems good for your needs, up the carbs if you start feeling low or without recuperation.

Faz seems to be on teh right track try it as he mentions as he has taken the time to ensure you hit the same muscle groups with less sets, 4 p/week seems fione as you have the kickbox in as cardio, that makes it 6x p/week.

You may have to up the carbs as i mentioned at least to keep the momentum going, if nothing else stick to the before/after way you are doing, it may work.
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the input I think I will go with something more along the lines of what Faz posted but I have a question. I have been avoiding overhead press (shoulder pain) but seem to only get tightness durring incline press I was trying to sub a flat bench for chest while hoping to get some extra shoulder work via incline what do you think (still too much for chest)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Squat x 1
SL Dead x 1-2
Barbell Bench x 1
Bent Over BB Row x 1-2
Leg Extend x 1
Leg Curl x 1
Chins x 1-2
Incline DB Press x 1
Shrug x 1-2
Dips x 1
Calves & rear delt x 2

Make it 2 programs if you're going to do 4 days or more...more versatility, spices it up:

A.
Deadlift/SLDL
Leg extension
BB Row x2
BB Benchx2

B.
Squat
Leg curl
Chins x2
Dips x2 - weighted and "chest style" rather than "tris style"

A&B.
Incline/Vertical DB Press
Shrug x2 - I like DBs for better range of motion, but BB is fine
Calves x2/3
Curls&tris

Rear delts - best for these are rows, then chins IMO. Many people here don't isolate them. But it's your call of course :)

imo flat bench causes more trouble for rotator cuff than incline db does..dont have the incline to high..put it on the first notch :D

Back