My story...

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_delichani
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_delichani

I am an HST'er...
Started last year, 1st cycle gained close to 10 pounds...was very happy. My second cycle I got sick and couldnt finish...From then, I created my own routines up until this point (about 6 months)
I want to start HST again...should I use the same poundages as my old cycle (my second one)

How many excercises does everybody do?

Im SDing right now however its going to be a long 5 week SD
(sick/injury/vacation)

any comments would be appreciated!

I'd start by checking your maxes on a few lifts. If they seem to coincide with your old maxes, then go ahead and use the same weights as on your last cycle.  If they seem to deviate, then you should retest them.

As for exercise selection, it largely depends on your individual exercise tolerance and recovery. Same goes for volume.  A typical routine has 8-14 exercises in it.  You could start out with one set of each exercise and then adjust the number of sets, starting with one of each, according to your recovery capacity. A good template is Bryan's routine, found in the

HST FAQ:
Squat
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Straight leg calf raise
Chins (wide and narrow)
Dips
Rows (wide and narrow)
Incline Bench
Lateral raises
Rear delt work (dumbbells)
Dumbbell press
Triceps Extension
Curls

If one set of each still seems to be too much, then scale back the number of exercises and stick to a few basic compound movements.

Bryan uses too many exercises (and has a split training routine) simply because he's been lifting for years and years and it takes a lot more than usual for a workout to be effective. Not a surprise considering he's at his genetic limit already, if I remember correctly.

Unless you are like him and Blade and everybody else who's been lifting for a heck of a lot of years and are at their genetic limit already, stick to very few exercises only. Bench, deads, rows, squats. Add something for any body part you think is lagging. Add whatever metabollic work you want when the reps get low.

thanks for the replys.

Im thinking something like : Squats, Incline Bench, Dips (weighted), Rows, Chins(weighted) and shrugs and maybe some preacher curls.

Back