My Train

Nildo

Hi guys, i'm relative new to bodybuilding, i train for only 3 months...

I'm 18 years old, 1,74m and 72kg

So, what do you guys think about the exercises i choose?

2x6-8

Squat
Deadlift
Barbell Bench Press (I Think it's the name in english... but i'm not sure)
This one i'm sure i don't know the name...
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rc0ZO2eAH0
Barbell Shoulder Press
Standing Barbell Calf Raise

And a last one that I alternate every train between:
Alternate Hammer Curl and Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension

If i don't post anything that's necessary please just tell me ok?
rock.gif

Hi, welcome do the board. You could mention if you are planning on cutting or bulking and what is your (approximate) body fat %.
The exercise you posted the video is the pullup. If you do it with your palms facing you then it is a chin-up.
The only exercise I think you can add to your routine is the row, probably a barbell bent over row. You could also add dips to alternate them with the bench press.
You didn't mention if you are going to follow a vanilla HST routine but if the 2x6-8 you wrote mean two sets of 6 to 8 reps, then you probably wont. What routine are you planning on following then?
I'd guess you are Brazilian. What city are you from?

Easy there electric. He's still very new.

Nildo: The exercises you choose are mostly good. Squat, Deadlift, Pullup, Bench press. These are all good. Very good.

Change hammer curl to barbell curl or dumbell supination curl.. The reason is because Pullups work the arms and forearms the same way as the hammer curl. To get more biceps growth do a different type of curl.

What about abs? If your abs hurt after deadlifts and squats then you are getting enough exercise for abs. If you want more abs then do crunches and/or hanging leg raises. Never do crunches/leg raises before squats or deadlifts. It weakens you and you may get hurt. This is why we usually save abs for the last exercise of the day.

Get plenty of healthy food and plenty of sleep.

Food + Sleep + Exercise = Muscle

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ May 16 2008,1:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Easy there electric.  He's still very new.</div>
QP, ok, I might have hushed a little. But don't you think he should consider at least to add some rows?
And it would be useful to understand how he plans to do the 2x6-8 routine, every day, 3d/week...
Ah, I forgot the most important tip for a new bodybuilder: learn good form. Don't try to impress people with the weights you are lifting because if you get injured no one will be impressed!

Yeah, it looks like a very good routine if you apply HST to principles to it. This is just my 2 cents:

Since you are a beginner, I would reccomend the starting strength programme. Theres nothing wrong with what you're doing at the moment at all, its just that I believe that with starting strength you'll increase on all your lifts much faster and then attain the basic strength to do more advanced things like HST. However if you can already squat 2x BW or bench 1.5x BW ignore what I said.

Its simple:
monday

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

wednesday

3x5 Squat
3x5 Press (Overhead standing)
3x5 Pendlay row*

on friday repeat monday's workout
next monday repeat wednesday's etc. etc.

start of with about 80-85% of your 5RM on each lift and increase the weight on the bar by 2.5 kg every workout so that after 3 weeks you're hitting PRs. The exception is the deadlift where you can get away with 5kg increases. Very simple, effective and will increase your lifts fast and in 3 months you'll surprise yorself.

I apologise if this seems like I'm criticizing you, but I think SS will be perfect for you based on the information you gave us.

*Actually in the original SS its power cleans that are done not pendlay rows but I assumed that you don't have a coach that can teach you power cleans &amp; thats why you should substitute it for rows. Don't attempt to learn power cleans- its very complicated and you need a professional coach to teach you it.

a word on SS:

don't forget to warm up before every lift and use strict form for both lifting efficiently and preventing injury.

Do only the above exercises and only add in extra arm work or abs after 2-3 weeks. The best additional exercises would be things like dips or chins but really don't do more that 5 or even 4 exercises.

I suggest you buy the Starting Strength book because it goes into great detail on how to do exercises correclty.

oh and I didnt invent this programme. All credit to Mark Rippetoe

It bears mentioning that one mode of thought is that a newbie should use a primarily strength-based routine, such as Starting Strength, to drive up strength as fast possible while the &quot;newbie gains&quot; last. Another mode of thought is that a wide variety of rep-ranges is good for newbies, too; they'll gain strength, size, and endurance. HST benefits newbies for all the same reasons it benefits advanced lifters: frequent training with sensible volume, ever increasing loads, and Strategic Deconditioning after top-end loads are reached.

Both Starting Strength and HST teach newbies how to set up sensible, productive training; but which one to select should be based on the trainee's long term goals.

If you are that new to lifting start a low volume HST program...and take advantage of that NEWBIE effect for a cycle or two....EAT...EAT...EAT some more.

Do this for 6 months or more and then move to a Vanilla hst routine.

You guys said things for me as I read down - I was almost appalled at a couple of the suggestions, and I disagree with Rippetoe on the point of starting a new guy with heavy lowrep work; as from what Navigator recommended, the neural connections, mitochondrial growth, and endurance factors under load all would be better developed early in training. What happens if he pulls a tendon? It's a known fact that the muscles will strengthen before the points of insertion of tendons (tendons grow slower) and injury is often a result. I haven't thoroughly read Rippetoe I admit, so I may have missed some warnings in there; surely he made them.
As Electric said, learn good form, not just to prevent injuries though. Bad form will stop your gains at some point, as well as get you hurt and make the gym rats snicker at you.
The best advice I ever got was &quot;leave your ego back at home if you want to grow.&quot;
I believe HST is probably the best system ever for both beginners, advanced (with minor modifications to volume), and young or old lifters. God knows some of us are real geriatrics in here!

<div>
(quadancer @ May 17 2008,9:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">God knows some of us are real geriatrics in here!</div>
Pass the Metamucil...
laugh.gif

Oh god, I thought Starting strength was praised as a really good programme. QD, as long as he uses a modest weight and uses correct technique, he's unlikely to get injured, right?

Well..I agree with Quad...there is know reason to get involved with heavy heavy weights if you are truely a beginner.

MU recruitment should be easily attained b/c you are untrained.

No reason to go advanced or moderate lifter programs until you truely plateu!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well..I agree with Quad...there is know reason to get involved with heavy heavy weights if you are truely a beginner. </div>

SS doesn't say you should use heavy weights, it says that you start with an empty bar and add weight until the form begins to deteriorate/slow down. And SS is a great beginner programme intended for people who have enver picked up a barbell in their lives with truly great results to show for it. Go on amazon and see the reviews for SS:BBT.

Besides, HST also calls for you to use 5 reps and then negatives afterwards, so in that respect its quite similar to SS, the differnece being is that there is less linear progression on HST which will slow down the gains of a beginner . Also I think it is unnecsessary for a novice to SD. When I SD'd I lost strength and lost something like 2kg of bodyweight despite eating maintenance- same happened to minime. Vanilla HST is therefore an intermediate programme not suitable for beginners.

At the end of the day, if 5 reps is such a major concern then 8 or 10 reps can be done instead and 2 sets instead of three. The key difference between SS AND HST is continual linear progression with tiny increments of 5 or even 2.5 pounds.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No reason to go advanced or moderate lifter programs until you truely plateu!</div>
SS isn't a programme for intermediate lifters its purely for untrained individuals. The whole reason you add weight frequently on it is due to the fast progression that an untrained person is capable of.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">MU recruitment should be easily attained b/c you are untrained.</div>
SS takes advantage of this.

Why not, as I suggested in an another thread, apply HST, and not SD until growth stalls. Keep the newbie gains continue until conditioning is higher. This way the tendons and joints will be strengthened during the 15s and 10s and as the strength gains progresses in the first cycle, without risking an injury.

When the first cycle ends, establish your new maxes, do a short SD (or skip it this time), and begin again from 10s, but with a heavier  load (say, 65% of new 1RM) than in the previous 10s (65% of former 1RM). Then progress through 10s and 5s again until further progress is impossible. Repeat until increases in 10RM is not possible. Then do a proper SD (maybe a longer one) and go for vanilla HST cycles. Strength increases should be unavoidable.

Why not do 15s during the early cycles? My experience with starting HST as a newbie is that the beginning weight during 15s are very light and migth not be an effective stimuli for hypertrophy.

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 17 2008,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh god, I thought Starting strength was praised as a really good programme.</div>
I don't think anyone on this board is going to tell you that SS is a bad program; it's not. And, at 18 years old, in good health, and no injuries, the original poster may be a prime candidate for SS. But what are his goals? What's he want to do? Since this is the HST Forum, we automatically expect new posters to want help with setting up HST.

All to often nowadays, whenever a newbie asks for help, he's slammed with the SS template, no questions asked. But not everyone wants to wait until they can squat 2x BW, bench 1.5x BW, and deadlift 2.5 BW before they can try HST. There's no need for such a requirement before using HST; HST is well known to build strength and size, the Results Thread bears testimony to this fact.

I have a problem with the notion that one can simply apply the HST principles to something else, like SS. The two have different objectives; HST seeks primarily to develop size, while SS seeks primarily to develop strength. Applying one to the other without a clear objective, just changes both. Here's an excerpt from the HST FAQ that I think makes a good, relevant point:

Understand that it is not necessary to train at 100% voluntary strength levels to stimulate &quot;growth&quot;. This is one fundamental difference between Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST) and HIT. HST is designed only to stimulate growth. Strength of course will increase as well during HST training but this is not the primary goal of the method. It isn't necessary to push against a weight that won't move (due to load or fatigue) to induce the necessary strain to muscle that leads to growth.

After years of training I realized that I would never get any bigger training the way I was unless I could get stronger, but I couldn't get any stronger until I got bigger. I had to discover a way to get bigger without getting stronger first. The HST method allows a person to get bigger before they get stronger. Accomplishing this is dependent on frequent loading (hitting same muscle at least 3 times per week), rapid progression in loading (mandatory increase in weight every workout), and Strategic Deconditioning (a week or so completely off to allow the muscle to become vulnerable to the training stimulus).

As always, Bryan Haycock says it best...

...and I'd gotten the idea of SS pushing heavy weights too early from your earlier post. I almost feel familiar with it just from posts in here, and now we're on the same page: I feel it's not necessary or the best route to build strength first for reasons I mentioned. Rippetoe may not have even heard of HST when he wrote that.
Vince Goronda to the &quot;Stars&quot;: &quot;Go get in shape; then I'll train you.&quot;

i like rippetoe style training and the 3x5 method because its just so simple and with a few exercises that you can really put your mind to. Maybe you're right about strengthening the tendons first- nothing's perfect.. or you could combine a bit of higher rep training into 3x5. I don't know.. what nkl says sounds reasonable.

However that being said, I really don't think that a novice should follow Vanilla HST. All that complicated stuff, rep ranges and SDing will just slow him/her down and judging by the experience of some people on this forum SDing by beginners creates some regression- not good.

Ideally, HST properly once you reach the intermediate stage if you want to focus on size. I stand by my word.

Back