Nearing the end of second cycle

• Thread starter Thread starter Dilsie
  • Start date Start date
D

Dilsie

I am about to finish my second cycle and was thinking about using a different rep scheme for my next cycle.  I was thinking instead of 15,10,5, doing 12 (1-2 sets), 8 (2-3 sets), and 5 (3-4 sets).  I would be doing two weeks of each and then two weeks of post 5's.  What do you all think about this?

Also, when should I retest my maxes?  Should I do it right when my current cycle is over and then SD?  

Thanks in advance.

12-8-5 will work although 15-10-5 gives you larger increments between mesocycles and more linear progession.

If you go on with 12-8-5 for the 2nd cycle, then you will obviously need to retest maxes for the 12 and 8 rep stages. Do this the week directly after your 2nd cycle ends.

Thanks, i might change it to 12, 8, 4 to spread them out a little bit more.

Then the argument of "what's the point" arises.

15's are for your joints and lactic acid buildup

I suppose 12's could replace these somewhat, but not as effective as 15's would be.

4's and 5's are so close that I doubt you can up the weight at all.

Plus, everyone around here usually sticks to the 15-10-5 rep scheme. It is helpful as when we critique each other, we're comparing apples to apples.

I imagine that why you want to switch to 12-8-4 is for the higher weight. It will be higher in the 12's and 8's, but as I said:

1) 15-10-5 provides higher increments between rep phases

and also...

2) 5 rep stage is good to end on since it gives you more wiggle room in the negs. If you decide to do strength training, you can ramp into 5 x 5

3) I think the light weight is essential for health. As I said, the 15's are more for your joints than anything. You will grow with them and the light 10's, but you won't be putting the stress on your bones like someone who is always lifting heavy all the time - whether that is HST under 10 reps, 5 x 5, or HIT.

By all means give 12,8,4 a go but I think you will find that Colby is right. If you work up to 4RM it's not a whole lot heavier than your 5RM. Then when yoiu get to negs (post-5s) you have less room to manoeuvre. I reckon that sticking at your 5RM (or your new 5RM, whatever that turns out to be) for another couple of weeks before SD would be a better bet. Don't forget that Bryan has said that you don't need to SD if you are still making progress. Just keep going a while longer until your joints need a break.

I appreciate the replies. I understand what you are saying about the difference between the two, as far as the progression goes and and the 15's help your joints. You were right when you said I wanted to do heavier weights with the 12, 8, 5 scheme. I have enjoyed doing the regular 15, 10, 5, I just thought I could use a little variation. I might just end up sticking with 15, 10, 5 now. Thanks again.

I've tried many rep combinations over the past 3 years but always come back to 15-10-5 as the best for me. However, I only do 1 week each of the 15's and 10's and then 4 weeks of the 5's. I stay away from negatives as I do not train with a partner. I incorporate drop sets with the 10's and 5's to keep my total reps per bodypart at 15. Don't be afraid to experiment though. Everybody is different.

Back