Need expert critique

rmtt

Hello to everyone. I have been reading the forum for awhile, and decided to join. I have put together my first HST routine, and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Here is my routine in the order I follow: I will be using the basic program using 1 set for the 15's, 2 sets for the 10's, and 3 sets for the 5's.

Squat
Leg Curl
Incline Bench
Bent Row
Deadlift *
Dip
Narrow Grip Chin
Barbell Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Standing Calf Raise
BB Curl
Lying Tricep Ext.

Do you guys think it's too much to have Squats and Deadlifts in the same routine if the Deadlifts are focused mainly on the back?
I do them in a rack and start from about shin level and concentrate on pulling, so it's probably the last 3/4 of the movement, and leg involvment is minimal.

What do you guys think about the routine overall? These exercises really work for me and are why I picked them.

I am an experienced lifter..32 years old...5'7" and weigh about 170 lbs. My last BF measurement came out in the lower 12% range.

Thanks for your time in reading this, and all suggestions and advice are welcome.

rmtt

Once off, yes, it is a bit much, split it into A & B routines, then it will be just fine, and do Mon A/Wed B/Fri A and so forth...

Here's what I'd do:

A
Squat
Standing Calf Raise
Leg Curl
Incline Bench
Bent Row
Barbell Shoulder Press
BB Curl
Lying Tricep Ext.

B
Deadlift *
Standing Calf Raise
Dip
Narrow Grip Chin
Upright Row
BB Curl
Lying Tricep Ext.

That way you keep them all, but reduce your time in the gym, progression stays as you would have worked it, 1 2 and 3 sets is also right.

Just a tip, upright rows are best with dumbells and raise only to the bottom of the chest, it'll save your shoulders
biggrin.gif

Hope it works for you mate!
cool.gif

<div>
(rmtt @ Jun. 13 2006,06:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you guys think it's too much to have Squats and Deadlifts in the same routine if the Deadlifts are focused mainly on the back?</div>
Both hit the back, you'll realize that this may not be a good idea as the load gets heavier as one of the exercises may suffer in either load or form (which can get you hurt). Some can do this with no problems, some can't. Above all else, if you are going to do this, be safe and keep your form in place. If you notice yourself getting sloppy when doing both drop one or split them as Fausto mentions.

Thanks for the replies.

I will restructure my program as advised, and am really looking forward to completing my first cycle.

Once I can see how my body responds, I can make any changes that I feel are needed in my next cycle.

Thanks again!

you could do squats on mon dl wed and so on.
i would drop uprightrows bent over rows will hit your rear delts.
biggrin.gif

I'd forget about the leg curl and calf raises. If you are doing olympic back squats (full ROM) and deadlifts, there's no reason to waste energy on those two exercises.

I wasn't going to upset your routine much, but the guys are right, you could easily drop those &quot;energy wasters&quot; and create a clean/sound workout!
cool.gif

For some folks calf raises are non-essential (like my training partner who had good development before he started training) and for others they are essential additions. I'm in the latter group. So I understand if you want to waste energy on them!
biggrin.gif

I have added an inch to my calves in just over 6 months of HST, so it is paying off. For me, going heavy during 5s and negs for calf raises has been key to getting them growing.

I would do the split as Fausto suggests as you will be pouring all your efforts into the most effective mass-builders.

Thanks guys.

I will use the A/B routine as shown above, but will drop Leg Curls out of the plan as my quads and hams grow pretty well from squats.

I think I will keep the calf raises for now as my upper legs grow pretty easily, but my calves have always required a little extra work to keep up.

Thanks again!

Back